Wish for rename dialog

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not arguing that our rename is necessarily as "user friendly" as some other tools, but to be honest it's not meant to be that dumbed-down. It's a power tool :slight_smile: Most things are possible in one step (all things if you involve scripting) and if you're not up on regex or the finer points of jscript, don't forget all you have to do is ask here and we'll tell you how to do it.

Hi
One feature I use in explorer consistently all the time but can't seem to replicate in Opus is the ability to select all files in a single directory, rename any of them and explorer renames them all the same, with sequential numbering, e.g.
Folder:
File ABC
File 123
File XYZ
sdfsdfsdfsdf File

Select all
F2 to edit
Rename to New File
Explorer auto renames to:
New File (1)
New File (2)
New File (3)
New File (4)

I want to be able to replicate this in the same way with out having to click multiple icons or open a rename function as this is a basic function. If I can't do easily - multiple times over 3 or 4 files per folder - I have to stick with explorer

You could do this pretty easily with a regular expression within the Rename dialog:

No regular expressions required, just turn on Ignore Extension so you don't have to worry about extensions.

This gives you a similar format to what Explorer does:

If you want to do it with one click, without having to open the Rename dialog, then create a button which runs this command:

Rename PATTERN * TO "{dlgstring|Enter name for files:|New File} ([#])" IGNOREEXT NUMBER

Then select some files and click the button. It will ask you what you want the name to be and do everything when you enter a name and push return.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply.
Explorer defaults the name of the first selected file, I press F2 then I edit that to what I want, then pressing enter will change the name of all the selected files, adding (1) , (2) etc. to any duplicate names/file types.

Will the script you provided default the name of the filename for me to edit or will it be blank - usually I do this to remove '.', superfluous text, etc. Can it be amended to include the filename?

See attached video for what I am trying to achieve/replicate

Thanks
Dean

Thanks Leo
This works a treat.

Ideally I would like it to populate with the filename of the first file in the group like explorer does, then I just edit it, but this is good

FWIW, we added an option under Preferences / File Operations / Rename to make inline rename (F2) work the same as it does in Explorer, without needing any scripts etc.

1 Like

Thanks Leo, Loving the product more each day. The best app I have purchased bar none.

I have one more question. Using the new inline rename, I have the settings:

• Automatically number files - either on or off
  • retain cursor position - off
  • rename all selected files at once - on
  • Default selection mode = select filename stem.

When I rename files with this example, I get extra apostrophes added - is this caused by a setting?

Example:
File to be renamed:
File.name.here.2001.additional.info.to.be.removed.avi
stas.txt

I select both stems with the first file last so this is the template
Press F2

Change stem to:
File name here (2001)

Then shows both as:
File name here '(2001')

Apostrophes are added before the parentheses
I can fix later with a file rename app, but would like to change any setting to prevent this
Thanks
Dean

Confirmed, and has been fixed for the next beta (12.12.1).

1 Like