Wishful Thinking Suggestion: 3-pane listers

I've been finding myself more & more needing to coordinate data among three different locations (e.g., Dev, QA & Prod or different network locations due to AD permissions & what-not). Anywho, just a little errant thought that popped in for a quick visit: what if I could have three side-by-side-by-side panels in a lister with the majority of the dual-panel lister functionality? (At least the stuff that'd make sense.) Stuff like syncing differences between all three locations or daisy-chained copies (from Dev to QA and from QA to Prod) or find files in middle that exist in either left or right, etc.

Some of this harkens back to my dream of being able to spray-copy from one tab in the source to designated (or all) tabs in the destination panel. But that's me: the digital equivalent of a paper-pusher. :slight_smile:

I have similar needs to 3-paned or even 4-paned listers. I frequently copy code from multiple directories and this should have been available years ago.

Layouts let you do something similar, if you don't mind having more than one top-level window open. You can save multiple windows into a layout for easy recall.

For copying to multiple folder tabs in a single action, that should now be possible using scripting. I thought someone had already written a script for doing that but I can't find it in the scripts area. I may be mistaken, or it may have been in a Help & Support thread and never posted as a standalone script. It should be fairly easy to script, just by enumerating the tabs on the destination side and running the copy command once for each tab.

I'd like to see at least a 4-paned lister as well. I recently used DOpus to find duplicate files/folders on my 4TB backup HDD. Having a 4-paned lister will make it easier to sort through everything.

I'm going to be buying a 4K monitor very soon. I'll be able to view a lot more than my current monitor, I have it setup to view 3x2 layouts for when I sort out the backup HDD.

Maybe let the user add as many panes as they need.

The more I'm thinking about it, the more uses I can envision for it. And while a bit messier than the traditional Source->Destination paradigm, being able to arbitrarily assign multiple sources to feed to multiple destinations would make some of my work processes a dream. Plus it'd be another selling point to get my co-workers to use it more. :slight_smile:

Will this ever be considered?
I am using Layout to get 3 pane listers now but it's far from optimal as can't Alt+Tab to Dopus properly.