Won't open jpg files from explorer or outside Opus

I've been slowly fixing setup issues that go along with setting up a new computer. I've also upgraded from DO11 to DO12 on this same computer.

I've tried setting the default filetypes to use 'dopus helper application', but they still refuse to open in the DO viewer. I do have the option in preference set to "all recognized pictures". I've also tried setting the double click action to "FileType ACTION=open" as I saw somewhere, but I suspect that's just for within DO. I've also tried playing with the Explorer Replacement options, but they seem to have no effect on this issue either.

Double-clicking jpg files within Opus already does use the internal viewer. It's only trying to open them outside of DO, that is the problem - like from Explorer or the file-picker dialogs.

That's DOpusRT.exe. You want d8viewer.exe if you want an exe that will open things in the Opus viewer. (Technically, you can use DOpusRT.exe as well but it requires extra arguments.)

See this FAQ:

Sounds like you need to change the Open with setting for pictures in Explorer. Mine is set to Opus' D8Viewer.

Yeah, I re-read that FAQ section again - correctly this time. And yep, I did have to set the default programs for the viewer by manually navigating to it in program files. I would've thought Opus would set that up automatically, or at least have it show automatically in the list for choose-default 'open with'. But it's been quite a while since I had to set up a new computer.

So what exactly is selecting the 'dopus helper application' supposed to do then? (That one seemed to be automatically populated in the list that comes up when choosing a default - unless I chose it earlier for something else and forgot, which is far more than possible.)

Well, at least I have a cognitive disability... So I have a pretty good in-built excuse, I would say. :laughing:

Thanks.

Nothing useful, unless you go out of your way to add the /show argument to it, which would require editing the registry.

There's no reason to do that, or to involve DOpusRT.exe here at all. Use d8viewer.exe for this; this is why it exists.