Word 2016 viewer pane issue

Combining this screenshot of Opus, with the screenshot of Explorer in your other thread -- Viewer Pane Word and Excel -- it looks like different viewers are being used in the two programs.

Explorer is using the Word preview handler, which is the one you want to use.

Opus is using Word itself, the application, and not the preview handler, for some reason.

Please go to Preferences / Viewer / Plugins, select ActiveX + Preview + Office + Web and click Configure:

The Microsoft Office (Legacy) line should be turned off by default in newer versions of Opus. Is it the same for you?

Do you have a Microsoft Word (or similar) viewer in the Preview Handlers section at the top of the list? (The section is shown in my screenshot but not the viewer, since I don't have Word installed on this machine currently.) Make sure that is turned on if it is there.

Please also check that you're on the latest version of Opus 12.

Apologies for that didn't realise i posted in the older post. Yeah the legacy stuff has been turned off. I have took a screenshot below

In that case, Opus and Explorer are using the same preview handler (viewer). How a preview handler displays things should be entirely up to it. Opus just tells it the rectangle to display itself in.

If you resize the viewer pane, does that make any difference?

It may also have some options in the right-click menu to change zoom levels, perhaps.

From the screenshot, the scrollbar on the right of the Word preview handler in Opus is in the correct place, so the preview handler is drawing itself into the correct area on the screen, and knows where the top of the Opus viewer panel is. It's strange if it is not starting the top of the page at the top of where it is drawing (the top of its scrollbar).

I am seeing the same problem with Word from Office 365. My plugin setting is as per Leo's suggestion. All recent files are.docx but I am also seeing it with old .doc files that haven't been near Office 365.

Edit: If I resize the DOpus window (from full screen), the top of the document comes into view. Also, changing the viewer pane from the right to the bottom of the lister window resets the view and I can get to the top of the document.

Directory Opus Pro 12.7.1 (Beta) Build 6593 x64
OS 10.0 (B:16299 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0

Yeah we are using Office 365 as well. We used to use 2007 and that didn't have an issue at all with the viewer pane it always displayed correctly. Any ideas where to go from there?

I have just tried it on version 11 of dopus and it shows the same issue where the top of the document is off the screen but when I then move the scroll bar down then back up again it scrolls to the top of the document and displays fine.

So by the looks of it it has gotten worse in the recent version.

That must be a bug in Word's preview handler. It clearly knows where the viewer pane is (the scrollbar is in the correct place) but resizing it makes it re-layout the document and get it right.

One extra thing to test: If you scroll the document instead of resizing it, does that make a difference?

@Leo Yes, using either scroll bar 'corrects' the display of the document.

Sorry my bad yes moving the scroll bars on v12 does work. Anyway of getting this fixed?

I guess we could try sending a fake scroll down, then scroll up message to the preview handler.

You should report it to Microsoft, but that's a joke really as all know Microsoft will ignore you, even though it is their bug and Word costs multiple times what Opus costs. We'll try to find a workaround.

Microsoft seem to be neglecting their preview handlers in general lately, since they completely broke the Windows Media one in a Windows update a year ago (including when it is used in Explorer and Outlook) and have shown zero interest in fixing it. It is a shame.

1 Like

Based on a few tests it looks like the preview starts by showing as much of the centre of the first page as will fit on the display and then (maybe) scrolls up to the top of the page. More often than not the scroll up doesn't happen but sometimes it does. If I open and close the preview pane several times against the same Word document the behaviour can change between iterations. When the scroll up does happen there is a noticeable short delay. All my tests were with Opus v12.7.1 and the viewer pane was horizontal. I think Explorer does exactly the same but the scroll up seems to happen more or less instantaneously and always reliably.

Yeah it is a shame that Microsoft are like that. Thanks for trying to get a fix for it.

Lots of good news, with the following changes coming in the next update (12.7.2 beta and then 12.8):

• Added a workaround for the issue above where newer versions of Word (with all the extra animations) sometimes chopped the top of the document off after opening the viewer.

• Viewer speed when moving from one Office document to another (and similar actions) is now much faster and should match the viewer in File Explorer again. (I'm not sure exactly when the Office viewers started requiring this extra step to make them faster, but you should find the speed much better now.)

• Fixed an issue where the viewer pane sometimes displayed an icon instead of opening documents which were already open in one of the Office apps.

1 Like

Excellent thanks very much for that Leo. Amazing quick response.

Re-opening this thread. I have a clean, new install of Win 10x64 (1803) and Office365 which came with a new Dell computer. DOpus is 12.9x64 (not sure where I found this as the current version on the website is 12.8.1). I checked windows default file associations and DOpus configuration of the viewer as detailed above. I cannot get Word docx or Excel xlsx to show in the viewer panel. zooming and scrolling don't do anything.

Maybe a DOpus x64 issue? Or 12.9? I will try 12.8.1 x32.

Does it work in File Explorer's viewer pane?

If it also doesn't work in Explorer, the issue is with Word/Office rather than Opus, and you may need to ask Microsoft for support if none of the suggestions here get it working again.

My advice with Word is usually to try reinstalling it, which often fixes things. Check what the preview handler list in the ActiveX + Preview + Office + Web plugin shows as well (some screenshots are earlier in this thread).

Opus 12.9 is here. "New versions are made available several days before they will be detected by the update checker. You can download Opus using the links below if you don't want to wait."

Does not work in Explorer preview pane. I checked my older machine which had DO12.8.1, I updated to 12.9 -- works OK. So, I agree, not an x64 issue or DOpus native issue.

The older machine has Office 2016, not Office365, maybe the source? I will try re-installing MSO365 (if that is possible -- it came pre-installed without media)

Re-install of Office365 did nothing. I had a DVD of Office 2016 from my older PC and installed that. Issue fixed. Interestingly, it accepted the activation, presumeably because there was a licensed copy already on the new machine, notwithstanding it is Office365, not Office2016 stand-alone. Second lession is don't buy Office365.

FWIW I have Office365 (only version I've ever installed on this machine) and the preview handlers work fine, but other people have mentioned problems with 365 on their machines.

Perhaps the Office365 installer isn't as good as older installers at repairing whatever goes wrong for some people.

You may also find that if you go back to 365 now it will continue to work now that the older installer has repaired things.

Leo, thanks for the suggestions. Going back to 365 did not fix the issue. I uninstalled all versions. I then tried to install MSO 2016 Pro again (the version on my older machine) but this time, with 365 uninstalled, it would not activate this time (it did not ask when 365 was also installed). I logged into the MS account for the new machine (it is under another person's name) and it showed the new MSO 2016 available to download and the activation key! These were not there before MSO365 had been activated. Happy ending: I have installation "media" - an ISO file - an activation key and a working installation of MSO 2016 on the new machine. Viewer in DOpus work. Whew!