Working with File Type Groups, Folder Formats, and Views

12.26.1 (Beta)
My goal is to configure D. Opus to always display the same columns in Details View or any type of Flat View for different Content Type Formats.

Example:
In Preferences > Folders > Folder Formats, I have edited the Images Content Type Format columns, and set the view to Details. But, if I then switch the view to any of the Flat views, there are different columns.
How can I configure D Opus to always display the same columns for Images if I use Details View or any Flat View? The same question applies to Movies.

After 4 hours reading the online manual and exploring settings/preferences, I have not figured it out. I think biggest barrier I face is the terminology used in the UI and the online manual:

• Is 'Content Type' the same as 'Content Type Format'?
  • Is a 'Default Lister' a 'Lister Layout' that has been set as the Default Lister Layout?
  • Is a 'Display Format' the same as a 'View'?
  • Is a 'File Display Mode' the same as a 'View'?
  • Is a 'Mode' the same as a 'View'.

Thank you.

Have you read the main folder formats FAQ?

You can find it here:

2022-03-05 00-38-23 Clipboard Image

Leo,
Thank you, but I have not seen that article. It's the start of my weekend, so I will read it in the next few days, but considering it is dated 2005, I likely would not read it if I had seen it.
Having looked briefly at the article, I need to add another question to my list:

• Is 'Content Type' the same as 'Content Type Format'?
  • Is a 'Default Lister' a 'Lister Layout' that has been set as the Default Lister Layout?
  • Is a 'Display Format' the same as a 'View'?
  • Is a 'File Display Mode' the same as a 'View'?
  • Is a 'Mode' the same as a 'View'.
  • New question: Is a 'View Mode' the same as a 'View' and/or a 'Mode'?
    Kind regards,

It's been updated a lot of times. Just because something is old (or was initially posted a long time ago) doesn't mean it's out of date, especially if it's in the FAQs area and pointed to from so many places on the forum. :slight_smile: We keep those things reasonably up to date, especially the more common/important ones.

Sort of. The content type format is what gets applied when the content type matches.

Sort of. The default lister is like a special layout, if you want to think of it that way. But it isn't managed like all the other layouts, and it can only contain a single window while actual layouts can contain one or more windows.

I'm not sure what Display Format refers to. View mode (Thumbnails, Details, etc.) is one of the attributes the folder format can change, if that's what you mean.

Is this the same question three/four times? :slight_smile: See previous answer.

Leo,
I have read the FAQs article 'Make all folders look the same'. However, I do not want them to all look the same. I have created folder formats for Images and Movies. I have enabled content-type detection because I want, for example, the columns I have set for my Images Folder Format to be displayed when I open a folder with Images, but if I open a folder of Movies, I want the columns I have specified in my Movies Folder format. But, If I open a folder of movies, the columns in details view are often - but not always - the columns I have specified for images. Likewise, I sometimes open a folder of images and the columns displayed are those I specified for movies. I have set 'Details' and the default View for both Images and Movies content types.
How can I make that happen?
My questions about the terminology are due to the fact that different terms seem to be used for the same thing. All those terms (view, mode, view mode, display format, file display mode) are used in the online manual. As a result, I am finding find it difficult to learn and figure things out.
Kind regards.

Hover (don't click) the mouse over the format lock icon and it will tell you which format(s) the current columns are coming from. That's the format you need to edit.

Or it might indicate that the Images format is applying to folders you consider "movie folders" because the folders really do have have more images in them than movies. (Exact details depend on what you have set the content thresholds to be. See Content Types for more detail.)

I have still not solved this problem. For my next trouble-shooting step, I have decided to check File Type Groups. According to what I have read, I need to open the File Type Editor.
I have just spent 30 minutes trying to find the File Type Editor, but I cannot. I have searched the Forum the manual, and used the search function in Preferences, and can find no mention of the location of the File Type editor. Where is it?
If there is ANY mention of its location in the places I have mentioned, please tell me where that information can be found, as I have a hard time imagining that the location of the File Type Editor is not noted in any documentation.
Thank you.

There's a whole section on File Types in the manual:

On the first page in that section it says:

Searching the manual for "file type editor" also brings up the relevant pages in the search results:

Jon,
Thank you for your effort. I have found it, but I maintain that nowhere does it say where one can find the File Types Editor.
After seeing your message this morning, I clicked on Settings, saw 'File Types' in the list, and, by chance hovered my mouse over 'File Types', and saw a tooltip that reads, 'opens the file types editor'. So, I clicked on 'File Types', and a dialog box titled 'File Types' opened, not a dialog box titled 'File Types Editor'. I deduced that's what I am looking for, but with another name.
In your screenshot, you highlighted text about how to access the 'File Types Dialog', but I was not looking for something called a 'File Types Dialog'.
I'm glad I found it, but am still baffled by the fact that, in the DOpus UI, the words 'File Type Editor' appear only in a tooltip.
Kind regards,

The manual says "File Types dialogs", not "File Types Dialog". It says that because there is more than one dialog involved with editing file types, and they are all initially accessed through the mentioned command (one dialog leads to another dialog and so on).

Yet there is no dialog named/labeled 'File Types Editor'. This is just one example of the disconnect between the DOpus U.I. and the documentation. I am making this point (again) in the hope that those who write the documentation will attempt to see things from the user's point of view and match the terminology in the U.I to the documentation. That is a key principal of technical communications.

Thanks for your input.