XTree Gold nostalgia

Do you remember a very well-designed DOS file manager called XTree Gold? I think it may have been the Cadillac file manager of its time. Had dual panes and all sorts of at-the-time unheard-of functionality.

1 Like

Man, I loved XTree Gold so much. So functional. And that blue was beautiful :slight_smile:

Yes! It was seriously elegant. Moving to Windows meant such a step back -- I missed XTree something fierce. It was a banner day when I discovered DO. Definitely the ultimate.

Once I started using Windows, I searched continuously for a replacement for XTree -

... and then I found Opus, and stopped searching.

1 Like

I talked with a few friends recently about this! It really brings fond memories! :smiley:

Not sure if it's still in development but there is ZTree.
Tried it many years ago but I'd forgotten all the keyboard shortcuts and the long folder paths we have now really doesn't make it easy to manage.

A while back, the wizardly Leo posted a screenshot of XTree (Gold?)! How does he do it? How does he conjure images of 25-year-old apps out of the ether? Link below.

I see this thread has been moved to Off-Topic, where it belongs. Nice to reminisce with other partisans of this venerable, even revered app.

Cheers! Bruce

The page with the screenshot is here:

No magic tricks involved :slight_smile:

1 Like

25 years ago us Amiga users had Dopus to bad for all the pc users out there ... didn't know what they where missing :yum:

1 Like

wobbly: You got that right. DO rocks.

Leo: Awesome images. Thanks for the memories!