Yes, It Opens Instantly

Hello,

For those who started or will start a thread complaining about DOpus because they see it redrwas itself slowly at startup, you're most likely get a reply from nudel, jon, or tanis telling you it opens instantly. Is it true what they experience?

I was one of those who suffered from this behaviour at DOpus startup, and didn't like nudel or jon insistence on it being opened instantly. i kenw there must be a specs diference, but I was NOT convinced it could open instantly. I was running it on Dell Inspiron 6000 (centino package 1.6MHz single core, 1GB RAM). I thought this is enough to have adequate prformance from a file manager, but to no avail any tweaking. I can't feel what they call instantly.

Well, I built a new system some days ago. it features Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM, and SATA HDD.

I can do assure you it opens instantly, I can feel it, see it, and ...

Befor you comment about my system specs, you should know that DOpus is a very good multi-threaded app and it benefits a lot from multi-core systems, so do yourself a favor and upgrade to see the difference.

I'm vey glad to have DOpus on my desktop now :slight_smile:

PS: Core 2 Duo E6850 is a tooooooooo fast CPU, I've never seen such performance in all my life, think about it in your next upgrde!

Great!

I'll have a similar system in a couple of months, but I was thinking at E6750. You could also get an Intel quadcore at the price of E6850. If you say DOpus is a good multithreaded app, than quadcore should be better, shouldn't it?

Just for the record, Opus opens instantly on an old Celeron 2 ghz pc, a P4 3 Ghz and a E6600 Dual Core machine here. It also used to open instantly on my very old P933 Mhz.

I thought someone had tracked down this speed issue to something they had installed.

So W0lfdale, are you saying it was worth forking out the big bucks? My desktop system is 4 years old, and my wife has been constantly urging me to upgrade (yes, there is such a wife). I've been quite reluctant, but having read this, hmm, can you give me kind of a subjective estimate of your new experience with the C2D versus your old notebook? (I have a Dell notebook similar to yours, maybe a little higher powered, so I'll be able to relate. Besides, based on your posts in this board, I trust your expertise completely.)

[quote="W0lfdale"]Hello,

Well, I built a new system some days ago. it features Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM, and SATA HDD.

I can do assure you it opens instantly, I can feel it, see it, and

PS: Core 2 Duo E6850 is a tooooooooo fast CPU, I've never seen such performance in all my life, think about it in your next upgrde![/quote]

Opus has always opened instantly for me. But as for the "bug bucks", go for it. I just upgraded to a Q6600 from a P4 3.4ghz -- the overall system responsiveness, running many apps at the same time, is insane!

[quote="Cristian"]
You could also get an Intel quadcore at the price of E6850. If you say DOpus is a good multithreaded app, than quadcore should be better, shouldn't it?[/quote]
Look, I've read a lot and reviewed benchmarks of the 2 CPUs. My final conclusion is as follows:

• If your main usage of PCs is playing games, browsing Internet, watching movies, handling graphics, managing files then E6850 outperforms Q6600 at 2.4GHz (unles you OCed the latter to a similar clock or higher as the former).

• If your main usage is 3D rendering, movie rendering/encoding, playing specific games, then Q6600 is a way better than E6850.

I guess you liked to be added to the list :slight_smile:

This was a different case from what I talk about it here. Anyway, that's my own experience even on a freshly installed system.

I'm not sure, but all I can assure you is that you'll have a totally diferent experience. Everything on my system flies. (dual-core vs single-core, sata vs ide, 2gb vs 1gb ram, p35 vs 915g chipset, 1333mhz vs 533mhz fsb)

I think Tanis's point was that Opus opens instantly on his slow machine so it's not necessarily your new faster CPU/memory/HDD that has sped things up.

It might be due to running a fresh Windows install that doesn't include some program or setting (etc.) that slowed things down before. Or a bit of both.

Good to know it's running fast for you now anyway.

To everyone (or whoever replies next):

If you want to talk further about processors (or any other general computing stuff) then please start a thread over in the CoffeeShop forum and reserve this thread/forum for Opus-specific stuff. Thanks!

Dopus will open up slowly (read: "draw slowly") every time if I try to open a lister before my system has completely booted up. Nothing strange here - expected behaviour. Perhaps some people are trying to open a lister before Opus+Windows has finshed normal startup?

If I had a complaint, it would probably be regarding how much longer my machine takes to finish booting when Opus runs at startup. (I'm booting off a WD 150GB 10K drive with Vista on an E6600 OC to 3.3GHz with 4GB ram)

When I open DOpus, the icon appears in the system tray instantly, then after a little while all the listers that were open when I shutdown or whatever come back. There's a slight delay, but a perfectly acceptable one. Hitting Win+E or double-clicking on my desktop opens a lister about as near to instantly as you're going to get. (Same speed as opening blank Notepad document.)

To the people who claim that DOpus starts instantly: Do you have the Add icon to the Taskbar Status Area option enabled? What DOpus-related processes are running in the background (e.g. dopusrt.exe)?

On my system, DOpus always takes at least 3 seconds to load. This doesn't sound like a long time, but it can be annoying to me. It's not my AV at fault, and my system isn't a dinosaur just yet (2.1 GHz single-core CPU, 2-GB RAM).

I have found that adding toolbar files can dramatically slow DOpus loading. After adding just one extra toolbar file, for example, I noticed the load time at least doubled. (And after removing the toolbar, the load time went back to what it had been.) This makes me wonder what else, if anything, can be done to optimize DOpus loading.

I am extremely finicky, and I don't have a ton of crap installed on my system. There has to be an answer somewhere.

Yes, that option is on and Opus is set to run at startup, in the background so I have dopus.exe and dopusrt.exe.

When we say Opus windows open instantly we mean once Opus is already running in the background. If I exit Opus completely and then open a Window then it does take 2-5 seconds to appear (depending on config) but if it's running in the background then new windows open instantly.

If your toolbar has lots of external icons on it then it can slow things down since Opus has to open all of those icon files (or program exe/dll files) separately which can slow things down a bit.

I also just noticed that if you have any Opus Icon Sets installed, whether you are using the icons in them them or not, then this seems to cause some slowdown during startup. I'm going to mention this to GPSoft as it would be better for icon sets to only be processed when needed, but if you have any installed that you aren't using, try deleting them via Preferences for a slight decrease in startup time.

The real answer, if you want Opus to open instantly, is to let it start with Windows and run in the background.

This is what I was referring to above. I noticed a significant slowdown after adding an icon set to Display > Toolbar Icons.