Go to parent dir on double click in empty space?

Is it possible to configure Dopus to go to parent directory in a lister if I double click on empty space in the file listings? I really like and have gotten used to this behaviour from Xplorer^2... I am an utter Dopus newbie, so the more explanation the better, but feel free to point me at the right manual sections. I feel this should be possible, considering the power of Dopus, but all of the material in the manual is a bit too much to take in all at once... :slight_smile:

It's not possible, at least at the moment.

This FAQ lists out the ways you can go to the parent directory (there are some you might not have noticed):
[Can I add a '..' item to go to the parent directory?)

Making it possible to perform an action when double-clicking empty space in the file list would go quite well with Opus's existing desktop-double-click feature, I suppose.

Too bad, it was such a handy thing.

[quote="nudel"]This FAQ lists out the ways you can go to the parent directory (there are some you might not have noticed):
[Can I add a '..' item to go to the parent directory?)
[/quote]

Excellent FAQ... although, alas, I already knew all of them, and none of them really form an equivalent replacement. The main drawback with the mouse alternatives is that the "target" is always very small, and thus requires (mouse) aiming; the empty space approach is nice in that it usually offers a huge area for performing the action, which leads to much faster gesture execution since you can do it nearly blindfolded, without any aiming (i.e., you just "throw" the mouse towards the space and "blindly" double click). The hotkey approach is also slow since it usually involves letting go of the mouse. :slight_smile:

Oh well, hopefully this feature will come about at some point. I guess my reliance on this gesture indicates I do "go to parent folder" a lot, perhaps too often. I suspect there is much more efficient workflow possible in Dopus for the tasks I do which I have not yet conceived (not that I tried yet...), which would make the frequent "go to parent" unnecessary...

[quote="nudel"]It's not possible, at least at the moment.[/quote]With DO9 only one week away, I guess you'd have said if it will be possible then ... :wink:

I use PowerPro to achieve that: by assigning a mouse gesture of left-drag-up to send a Backspace (only to and from DOpus). No aiming needed; works fine on empty space, but also on status lines and toolbars if there's no empty space handy.

If left-drag-up doesn't suit (though it seems a natural analogue for 'going up' to me), then any of dozens of other mouse gestures or button combos are available.

And of course you might then assign, say, left-drag-down, left-drag-right, left-drag-left to go to Root, Desktop, Back, Forward, Next Tab, Previous Tab, etc, etc.

Details of PowerPro: [Mouse gestures - #18 by Milly)
And/or StrokeIt : [Tip: Adding mouse gestures to Directory Opus!)

[quote="Milly"][quote="nudel"]It's not possible, at least at the moment.[/quote]With DO9 only one week away, I guess you'd have said if it will be possible then ... :wink:
[/quote]
Probably. :slight_smile: But someone might find this thread by searching when Opus 9.1 or 10 or whatever is out and "at the moment" no longer applies.

[quote="mackal"]
I use PowerPro to achieve that: by assigning a mouse gesture of left-drag-up to send a Backspace (only to and from DOpus). No aiming needed; works fine on empty space, but also on status lines and toolbars if there's no empty space handy. [/quote]

I do the same using Drag Right Left as that is what I also use in Firefox. If a Powerpro beginner is looking to do this they might have trouble as DOpus doesn't have a constant Title bar text. I use: *Mozilla Firefox,=DOpus in the target window property of Powerpro's command window

I like this idea. I always wanted to middle click in an empty listview area to go parent. Obviously it cannot be done at the moment. I didn't get it - will this be available in the future?

It's too late for new features to go into 9.0 but I've filed a feature request. Nobody knows what will be in 9.1, etc. yet.

I've implemented a workable solution for myself using AutoHotKey, one that sort of mimics Opera's bindings: if I press and hold left mouse button, and then press the right mouse button, I go up a directory (i.e., simulate ). You can quickly travel up the hierarchy by holding down left button and repeatedly clicking right mouse button... very handy and quick. The reason why I avoided the PowerPro solution, and drag-based mouse gestures in general, is that you cannot chain them this fast, and the likelihood of gesture input error is much greater.

Here is the script for those interested in replicating this:

;; dopus.ahk #IfWinActive ahk_class dopus.lister ~LButton & RButton::Send {Backspace}

NOTE: the left mouse button click will be passed on to Dopus once you let go of the left button; suppressing it in the special case of this input sequence is a bit tricky and tedious. For this reason I chose Left-then-Right, rather than the other way around, which was my original preference, since a spurious left click is less intrusive than a spurious right click (i.e., you get an unwanted context menu after this input sequence).

The new version of Opus lets you do this:

(Replying here so anyone subscribed to this topic knows about it.)