Folder Tree Won't open in default setup

Lock the tree then save over the Default Lister (settings -> set as default lister) (or over your layout, if you open a layout instead of the default lister).

Hey Leo,

Thats what I did but it won't hold the seting.

Cheers,

Hi,

When I open DOpus how do I get the focus to open in COMPUTER in vista.

See attached Image:

Cheers, :smiley:

You just go to Computer, then save over the Default Lister (settings -> set as default lister) (or save over your layout, if you open a layout instead of the default lister, using Settings -> Lister Layouts).

i.e. Exactly the same as you change any other aspect of the default lister (or a layout if that's what you've configured Opus to open).

[quote="leo"]You just go to Computer, then save over the Default Lister (settings -> set as default lister) (or save over your layout, if you open a layout instead of the default lister, using Settings -> Lister Layouts).

i.e. Exactly the same as you change any other aspect of the default lister (or a layout if that's what you've configured Opus to open).[/quote]

Hi Leo,

I have tried what you have sugested and still can't no luck.

Cheers, :slight_smile:

I can't help but notice from the "other" thread (some "horizontal scrolling" topic that was locked) that there seems to be a very basic disconnect between making changes to the lister view and then appropriately "saving" those changes to the right "place"...

Bldae007... in that other thread - you continually described saving the "default lister" even though other information you posted suggested you weren't loading the "default lister", but rather some "other" custom layout... then I think you switched back to configuring Opus to launch the "default lister" on the various "launching Opus" pages in preferences.

So... unless there is some other config settings conflict at play like the one Leo reproduced earlier in this thread - I don't see any way to uncover it beyond the things that Leo has suggested - short of asking you to scrub your config of any sensitive data and uploading a full config backup to either the forum or via private message to somebody to try you actual config out to see if they can trace down whatever is wrong. I can try that inside a virtual machine...

[quote="steje"]I can't help but notice from the "other" thread (some "horizontal scrolling" topic that was locked)[/quote] Yep and the office guys here are amazed by the mods locking up the thread. Its a good old saying [what comes around goes around] in other words it might effect the DOpus sales over time........but then its a free forum just user beware. BTW this was one of the first things myself and our office that use DOpus noticed how the forum is run. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[quote="steje"]that there seems to be a very basic disconnect between making changes to the lister view and then appropriately "saving" those changes to the right "place"...[/quote] Correct and still trying to work out why. :confused:

[quote="steje"]Bldae007... in that other thread - you continually described saving the "default lister" even though other information you posted suggested you weren't loading the "default lister", but rather some "other" custom layout... then I think you switched back to configuring Opus to launch the "default lister" on the various "launching Opus" pages in preferences.[/quote] Correct we made the mistake and apply correct procedure in saving. :blush:

[quote="steje"]o... unless there is some other config settings conflict at play like the one Leo reproduced earlier in this thread - I don't see any way to uncover it beyond the things that Leo has suggested - short of asking you to scrub your config of any sensitive data and uploading a full config backup to either the forum or via private message to somebody to try you actual config out to see if they can trace down whatever is wrong. I can try that inside a virtual machine...[/quote] Everything is good in terms of the layout and settings in place only issue is that the focus in the folder tree won't land on Computer in VISTA. We can save the config but require to dump some of the data before we upload as we have numerous FTP info. :slight_smile:

Cheers, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

You still haven't explained how you are opening the window. That is the very first thing that needs to be understood. As I said and repeated in the other thread:

The first step you need to do is work out what you are actually opening. Based on the action you perform to open the window (e.g. double-clicking the tray icon), find the corresponding settings for that action in Preferences.

Without answering that question we are left to guess what you are doing and/or forced to answer in the most generic way, covering every possibility we can think of, which is very time consuming and may leave out things we hadn't thought of. Help us help you.

If a thread goes wildly off-topic then we will lock it. There is nothing sinister, mean or amazing at work. See the FAQ on asking one question per thread and note how many questions and posts went into that thread, unrelated to the root topic, before I decided "enough is enough" and locked it. Also note that no action was taken other than locking the thread, and how rarely we (the admins) lock threads despite the high number of them. The thread was wildly off-topic so it got locked. Why is that a big deal?

As the FAQ explains, the rules are there to help make the forum as useful as possible for as many people as possible. The aim is to make it easy for people to search the forum and find threads which cover a particular issue without them having to wade through unrelated posts/questions or try to understand topics woven from multiple parallel threads.

It's also annoying if someone keeps blaming "the latest update" with no basis or evidence (e.g. something related in the version's release notes, or simply trying a previous version to confirm it had different behaviour). Especially when the problem is almost certainly unrelated to the update and likely to be a simple misunderstanding (which is fine), when the information required to understand what's going on has been provided repeatedly but ignored (which is frustrating)... None of which caused the thread to be locked. It was when that problem was eventually resolved and then, immediately, another virtually identical (i.e. the information to solve it was already there), still-off-topic question was tacked-on, again blaming the latest update, that I locked it.

Surely you can see that that is frustrating, not to mention unhelpful to everyone else trying to search the forum for answers to their problems?

User beware of what? Getting quick answers to your questions from people who help you out in their free time?

User beware that if you keep posting off-topic then a thread might get locked? That's common sense.

Have we not helped you again and again on the forum and in private messages with lots of questions? Are we not still helping you now? If that's your level of gratitude for people helping you in their spare time -- all because one thread got locked -- then I won't waste mine anymore.

I'm happy to help users of all levels get the most out of Opus but I have my limits. Ignoring the FAQs & common-sense rules, treating the forum like it's only here to help you instead of to help everyone, and expecting other people to do all the thinking for you is too much. This is a free, user-to-user tech-support forum, not a private consultancy.

Hi Leo,

First and foremost the team here are sorry for the attitude towards the forum and all your points are taken.

Secondly more of a frustration thing happening that gets the team fired up and fully understand why you have locked the other thread and also taken onboard from here on.

Finally leo and all you guys helping out on the forum its greatly appreciated.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

BACK TO THE TOPIC

[quote="leo"]You still haven't explained how you are opening the window. That is the very first thing that needs to be understood. As I said and repeated in the other thread:

The first step you need to do is work out what you are actually opening. Based on the action you perform to open the window (e.g. double-clicking the tray icon), find the corresponding settings for that action in Preferences.

Without answering that question we are left to guess what you are doing and/or forced to answer in the most generic way, covering every possibility we can think of, which is very time consuming and may leave out things we hadn't thought of. Help us help you.
[/quote]

When opening DOpus its sometimes via double clip desktop and sometimes via tray icon which when double clicking tray icon or desktop both they both open in the same way.

Surely this is some elaborate joke ?

How many more times do you and the 'team' need to be told that you have to look in Preferences to see what you're actually opening when double-clicking the desktop or tray icon, then update that particular object, be it Layout, Default lister etc....

As Steve says, 1) what are those actions currently set to do in Preferences?

Also:

1. What actually happens? You have told us what you want to happen but I don't think you've explained what happens instead.

2. Is the problem only with the tree highlighting the wrong folder (if so, which folder?) or is the file display (to the right of the tree) also not starting with the folder you want?

Hi,

We have tried both methods and still finding that it doesn't hold the setting plus have updated all settings in the toolbar from what leo suggested in one of the post. Sorry either we are :confused: or something is wrong.

[quote="leo"]2) What actually happens? You have told us what you want to happen but I don't think you've explained what happens instead.

1. Is the problem only with the tree highlighting the wrong folder (if so, which folder?) or is the file display (to the right of the tree) also not starting with the folder you want?[/quote]

At the moment tree opens up accordingly to the setup and saved settings but not highlighed where we would like it. Reason we would like to see the highlight is if we move the focus elsewhere we know where it is.

[quote="leo"]3) Is the problem only with the tree highlighting the wrong folder (if so, which folder?)[/quote] Yes at the moment we would like it highlighted on COMPUTER in vista.

Cheers,

Which folder are you starting in? In the file display, that is.

Little :confused: but if we are correct at the moment it is at Computer the Preferences setting is Listers, Tree Behavior and Start Folder Tree at: Desktop.

BTW thank you for your help..... :slight_smile:

You (plural) have the tree locked, so it doesn't select anything. That's the whole point of the lock.

Yes but if we point it to a new folder deeper in the tree and lock it so it won't scroll will it work.

Is this a statement, or a question? Either way - I'm not sure what it's means...

It "sounds" as though you have a properly saved "default lister", set to open the way you want - with the folder tree locked, to the folder you want (Computer), that it shows up in the file display correctly (to the right of the folder tree), but that you're saying the Computer node is not "selected" in the folder tree. Jon is saying that locking the folder tree causes this... problem solved.

I think you either decide whether or not it's more important to have the starting folder highlighted and turn the lock OFF, or you live with the "price" of the behavior you want from locking it be that the starting folder isn't highlighted...

Perhaps you can ask for a feature request that allows the "starting folder" to be highlighted with the folder tree lock turned on... I "think" you're asking a question above, perhaps about some way to "work around" the lack of highlighting - I think the answer is no, whatever you're trying to suggest won't change the behavior you're seeing, and is just as easy to quickly try yourself as wait for an opinion from someone on the forums :slight_smile:. As an example - even if you point to a folder somewhere deeper in the tree and then lock the tree and update your default lister:

a.) opening a new lister will then point the file display to that new folder, not the "Computer" node you want
b.) the tree will neither expand (because of the folder tree lock) to and select the new folder (which you don't want anyway I guess) - and it CERTAINLY wouldn't just all of a sudden decide to highlight the "Computer" node :slight_smile:.

So... is it ok to lock the thread now (just kidding :slight_smile: )...

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback guys.. :slight_smile: