Disable automatic horizontal scrolling

Hi.
I can't find any way to stop my lister from scrolling horizontally when there are long file names inside it.

I appreciate the scroll bar being there, but 90% of the time, it is scrolled to the end, and I can't see the icon at the beginning!

Thx

Not sure what you mean. Could you post a screenshot?

This is what happens all the time (left lister)

This is what I want to happen. I have to drag the horizontal scroll bar every time to make it happen.

Does that just happen, or does something trigger it? (I think it's normal if you use inline rename on a file but otherwise it shouldn't scroll automatically AFAIK.)

Every time I activate the window to do anything, the scroll automatically happens.
Auto column-width is turned on, but sometimes these filenames are longer than the lister can handle...

Maybe it would help if the adjacent lister was set to autoSHRINK to fit the shorter filenames, in addition to autoEXPANDing to fit them, like Dopus already does...

Does it really just happen when you activate the window, or are you doing something (say, going into inline rename mode) that triggers it?

I went and activated the window and it was fine.
All i can say now is that it occurs at random times, when I'm not in rename mode.
Will have to pay more attention to the specific circumstances the next time it occurs...

Haven't found a way to repro - but some other observations... You've got:

• lister window apparently NOT maximized
  • folder tree turned off or out of view of screenshot
  • you're in dual file display mode, with possibly the two displays differently sized
  • you've got grouped flatview enabled
  • various folder tabs open

...just anecdotal observations - in case you need to have a variety of conditions be true in order to come across the issue.

How are you "activating" the tab on which you're seeing the scrolling behavior that you'd like to change? With tab and arrow keys or anything? Hitting the right arrow key in a file display with columns scrolling offscreen will indeed scroll the display to the right. Maybe you're unintentionally scrolling with a cursor key as you navigate between tabs.

This horizontal scrolling happens to me all the time if I use the right pane (lister) to double click a long subdirectory. If I use the left pane to double click a long sub directory there is no horizontal scrolling.

I do that all the time and have never seen any horizontal scrolling that I didn't either do myself or trigger by an inline rename.

Can you provide more details of what you are doing, before & after screenshots, etc.?

Does it happen when you go into a folder, or if you go in and then back out? (When going up or back, depending on configuration, you may return to a cached view of the folder which remembers if it was scrolled to the right, but only if it was already scrolled to the right the last time you used it.)

I posted a reply 24 hours ago and it didn't go through!

Here's what I determined.

It definitely is triggered by inadvertent inline renames.

I try to go bring that lister to the foreground, and some file gets kicked into inline rename mode.

I then figured that the solution would be to customize the actions taken to enter the inline rename mode.
Can the milliseconds of delay between clicks be adjusted? That would do it. I think TweakUI will do it for Windows. Is there another way through DOpus?

Thx

It's based on the double-click delay, same as with Explorer, I think.

Actually, I doubt the delay will make any difference; that's just how long the program waits for something else to happen, after you've clicked a file that was already selected, before initiating inline-rename.

Instead, turn off Preferences - Listers - File Display: Allow file selection when clicking to activate Lister.

Sir.
Life at work is good again.

Thanks.

This is what I am seeing...
Go to a directory that has a long sub-directory...

double click the long sub-directory in left pane and you get this...

but if you double click the same long sub-directory in the right pane you get this with the scrolling.

Hope that helps, been that way for me for a long time, always done that with version 9. Not sure if that when it started though.

regnim, you're talking about the folder tree; this thread is about the file display.

Well, guess I got confused when the original poster said left lister. Thanks for the correction. So, is there any way to prevent the folder tree from horizontal scrolling when the file display is used to navigate to a long sub-directory. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeh - me too!
That behavior is why I turned the tree off for good just 5 minutes after we bought and installed DOpus.

I like Opus except auto horizontal scrolling. Why we can not turn off this behavior?

You can't currently stop the tree from scrolling. (To stop the file display scrolling, see earlier in the thread.)

How would you want the tree to behave? Like Explorer in Windows 7 where it never scrolls at all? (Doesn't even have a scrollbar in fact.) Or something else? I'm not sure what's possible with the tree control off the top of my head but it might be possible, if a feature request is sent to GPSoftware.