"Integrity check" error

Looking for a replacement for Windows Explorer, I came across a Lifehacker article which recommended Directory Opus. I downloaded the trial version from your site, and used the stock certificate for a few days with no issues, then requested the 60-day evaluation license, which I received via email and applied to the program successfully.

Ever since applying the evaluation license, Directory Opus shuts down sporadically (often in the middle of queued file operations), and gives a message that "An integrity check of the Directory Opus program and associated components has failed."

I have tried everything I can think of to eradicate this issue. First I tried upgrading to the latest beta version, thinking that some issue with the released version I had installed might have been subsequently fixed in the beta. I had the same issue. I've also tried completely uninstalling the program, and then installing a fresh copy, to no avail. I still continue to have the "integrity check" error.

So far, I do really like the program, and I would like to continue to evaluate it for a couple of weeks before committing to purchase it. Although I first found the pricetag to be a bit steep, after having used DO for several days now, I think it's getting harder and harder to imagine going back to using Explorer again, which seems literally crippled in comparison. However, this issue with the integrity error concerns me.

Any advice?

Please check that the installer (if you still have it) and the program's EXE and DLL files are undamaged by verifying their digital signatures:

If those all look fine, could you send your evaluation certificate to me either via a private message here or via email to leo@gpsoft.com.au? I'll see if there's anything wrong with the certificate itself.

I actually had already read that particular post, and checked all the Digital Signatures as per those well-described instructions. It really is commendable how almost every such tutorial includes screenshots, etc., to make it as easy as possible to follow. Also, I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled several times, each time downloading a new copy of the installer, so as to eliminate any issues that might have stemmed from a corrupt download.

I will PM you the certificate forthwith.

By the way, thank you so much for your quick reply. I am so anxious to have this problem fixed so that I can really start to explore everything that DO can do. I know I've only scratched the surface, but every time I get involved in examining different features of the program, I get the integrity message and it quits.

Thanks for the cert. That seems fine so I don't think the problem is there.

If you open the Update Checker via the Help menu, is that able to successfully check for updates and also show the list of recent news items?

Which version(s) of Opus have you tried? If you've been using the beta version (10.0.5.4), could you try going back to the latest stable version (10.0.5.0)? If you've already tried that and seen the problem there as well, stick with whichever version you have now.

Does anything seem to trigger the failure, or happen at the same time or just before/after it?

Yes, the update checker works properly, and I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling in every possible sequence, alternating between the release and beta versions. Doesn't seem to matter which version I uninstall/reinstall, it still fails the "integrity check."

And no, nothing really seems to trigger the failure. It seems to take anywhere from 5-15 minutes or so before it happens, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm actively using the program, or whether there's just an idle Directory Opus window sitting open.

I'm really frustrated, because I do really like DO so far. The ONLY thing holding me back from purchasing the product is the stability issue. This has been such a headache so far, and I'm concerned that if I shell out the cash for the registered program, that this integrity issue will simply condition, since I assume I would just be receiving another, more permanent, license key to apply. If I could just get DO to run without crashing this way, and see that the issue doesn't return after a few days of using it as a complete replacement for Explorer, I would purchase it in a heartbeat. I've been trying other (commercial and open source) Explorer replacements in the meantime, and nothing seems to come close to measuring up to Directory Opus, neither in UI or functionality.

*continue, not "condition"

Sorry, couldn't find a way to edit my previous post.

FWIW, I uninstalled Directory Opus today. I'm really frustrated, because I was looking forward to using it.

10.1.0.0 may be worth a try. We found a possibility where other applications doing things they shouldn't do with broadcast window messages could have triggered what you were seeing.

The only other thing we know of is the "trial reset" hack.

Note: To try 10.1.0.0, request a new evaluation cert which will give you the full 60-days.

(10.0 eval certs don't work with 10.1, but we've reset the evaluation limit for everyone.)