Maintaining consistency in layouts

I would like the column sizes to be the same for all my tabs. I would like those column sizes to remain the same as I traverse through directories (I'm using "details" view).

I've tried the "save listers" and setting the "default" lister. I'm just not getting it. Is there a way to do this and so that when I reboot, the listers (using dual vertical with only one directory tree on left-hand side with two vertical directories listings to the right of tree - three vertical sections total) will restore to that format? Would also like to set so my tabs group opens and set a default tab (directory). This is important as one of my tabs points to a folder on an encrypted folder and until I enter a password and load the driver, that folder is not available.

Hope this makes sense.

Are there any Layouts involved, or just the default lister and its folder tabs?

The Folder Formats Quick Guide is probably all you need:

I must admit I'm unsure of the true difference(s) between a "layout" and a "lister". I have been through the guide you suggested (twice) and also the two sub-guides mentioned within it. My column sizes are not holding.

I have created a "listed", but when I open it, the column sizes don't come back as I had saved them. I can see the column sizes change as I adjust them and then go to "folder options". Wow! Just got it!

As I'm typing this, I played with some other settings. The key setting (not mentioned in that guide unfortunately) was to uncheck "auto-size columns" under the "folder options | display" tab. That fixed it! Got what I needed and thank you for your help! :slight_smile: