Network shortcut created intermittently when traversing UNC path

Been using 12 Pro (12.7) for a while on a 64-bit Windows 10 Pro desktop. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for it, but a shortcut is created occasionally when I navigate to a particular network location. For example, if I navigate to X:\file\folder and just look at some files in that directory, moments later a shortcut (.lnk) will be created in the same X:\file\folder location going to itself i.e. X:\file\folder. The file share is on a Windows 2008 R2 VM (VMware 5.1, so a bit old) and the pathnames can be quite a bit long, but they're not all necessarily past the ~250 character limit. Just strange stuff. It's something I'd really like to understand.

Also, sort of miscellaneous other questions, but I've also noticed that when saving PDF's from Outlook 2016 that the date modified metadata field will show as the time I saved it instead of the date & time it was actually modified by the sender. I've noticed this shows up in Windows Explorer too but can't remember if it happened more frequently in DO.

Anyway, your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

This can be an accidental click and drag on the addressbar.

Have a look at this.