Waiting for the DO 9 Announcement

We are approaching the end of the first quarter, when the DO "Buy" page says the next Vista-compatible release is expected. I won't ask if that date is still accurate since I wouldn't expect an answer to that. :slight_smile: I was wondering though how the release would be announced. Will existing users get an email? Will we need to monitor the forum for a DO9 topic area? If we subscribe to the DO8 announcements, will that suffice? As it is, I'm checking the "news" page several times a day as we approach the end of the month. Not that I am anxious or anything..... LOL
D.

As soon as the new version is ready there will be a post in the Announcements forum. (And we'll edit that 8 out of the description in the forum index. :slight_smile:)

GPSoft usually email existing users about big updates, but they also usually wait a few extra days before doing so.

If you want the fastest notification of the release, subscribing to the Announcements forum is probably your best bet.

Shouldn't be much longer now... :slight_smile:

[quote="nudel"]If you want the fastest notification of the release, subscribing to the Announcements forum is probably your best bet.

Shouldn't be much longer now... :slight_smile:[/quote]Thanks, Leo. How soon before the updated tutorials and walk-throughs are out? Next couple of days? :slight_smile: I know..."soon". LOL
D.

Biting nails, checking the site 4 times a day, feeling like I did the first time I asked a girl out and got a "maybe"...

Looking forward to this! :slight_smile:

[quote="djeaton3162"]How soon before the updated tutorials and walk-throughs are out? [/quote]Has any thought been given to releasing some expected feature/fix lists or documentation prior to the software release? I know that there are some topics here on the forum that indicate that certain things will be addressed in it, but I haven't seen a master list anywhere. I know if I had time to actually digest the manual before pushing all the pretty new buttons, it might keep me from asking stupid questions later. Give a guy software and a manual at the same time, and the manual probably won't get the same attention as if you release it a day or two ahead of time. Just a thought....
D.

Give a software guy a manual to 'Write' and the software will probably never come out at all!

[quote="greg"]Give a software guy a manual to 'Write' and the software will probably never come out at all![/quote]LOL I've been on that side as well and can respect that reply more than you know. Been in many meetings as a developer and beta manager where I had to ask if they wanted to talk about it or actually give me time to do it. :slight_smile: I was just hoping that someone had at least compiled a list of what was addressed in the release or that some of these awesome user-made walk-throughs had been updated. Given the choice, I'd rather have the software over any documentation, but if documentation or feature lists of some sort are already available..... :smiley:
D.

Patience. So you want us to stop testing and preparing the final version for full release and spend some time writing a precis of what we've done eh? Oh what it would be to have staff:)

But, we may have a little surprise for you all maybe later in the week. Don't quote me!

[quote="greg"]Patience. [/quote]My dad used to say that patience was a virgin. LOL

[quote]So you want us to stop testing and preparing the final version for full release and spend some time writing a precis of what we've done eh? Oh what it would be to have staff:) [/quote]Please don't. This wasn't even directly addressed to GPS insiders, although I really appreciate your taking the time to respond when things are likely really crazy there right now.

I was hoping that someone that has been on the forum for a while had a list of all the items already mentioned here that were said to be addressed in the new release (like USB portability and Vista compatibility). I also hoped that some of the customers/users that had tutorials posted may have updated them with some v9 stuff. But, my guess is that they have all signed non disclosure agreements. At least if I was running the beta they would have. LOL
D.

need.... dopus....9.... now.... gonna... kill...my... self.... no... wait.... windows explorer... does the killing job... for me....

[quote="greg"]But, we may have a little surprise for you all maybe later in the week. Don't quote me![/quote]Cool! Here in the eastern time zone, my week ends in half an hour. :laughing:
D.

Are we going to get an Easter present? :stuck_out_tongue:

Jokes abour eastereggs could suddenly develop... :wink:

Let me sing:

"I have been realy nice to the easterbunny, can I have some Dopus please?"

My system went down in flames (well, close but not quite) - but the result was the same. I had to buy a new computer - with Vista. So here I am, joining in the waiting room...

Unfortunately, it's not the only software I have to wait for. I knew it was to early to go for Vista.

Any new ETA yet, Greg?

In case any of you miss the post in the Announcements forum, my What's New in Opus 9 preview is now online.

Enjoy!

hurray!!!!!!

Kick Ass!!!!

Firstly thanks to Leo for taking the time to write this guide.

I'm glad to see the thumbnail bar added, I've been using explorer in vista while I wait for Opus9 and the thumbnail bar is about the only thing I like about the new explorer. Also the UAC enhancements alone would persuade me to upgrade, I keep UAC turned on for the extra protection but the amount of prompts sometimes is just crazy. Hope it's going to be released very soon.

Leo you have Stalker? Is it any good? Also a little face said peekaboo to me!

Ta :slight_smile:

Do you mean the toolbar for resizing thumbnails? That's not actually new: [Thumbnails Toolbar)

Explorer just seems "unfinished" in this regard. I wonder if MS will tidy things up in Vista SP1?

I've replied in a separate CoffeeShop thread.

:slight_smile:

No I actually mean the breadcrumb bar, don’t know why I said thumbnail bar.

:slight_smile:

Maybe peekaboo can be added into the Dopus system tray icon and randomly peek over every now and again lol.