Waiting for the DO 9 Announcement

[quote="Xyzzy"][quote="Delphier"]I dont know if this is already answered somewehere else but this is the official dopus 9 topic so:
Is the copy queue implemented in the new version ?[/quote]

Unfortunately it looks like it isn't.
I've waited for it, too.

X.[/quote]

Uuuf, that would be great, too. Mark this as one more vote for this feature.

[quote="Delphier"]I dont know if this is already answered somewehere else but this is the official dopus 9 topic so:
Is the copy queue implemented in the new version ?[/quote]

No. We had this on the list but it involves a very deep fundamental design change so it did not make this version.

We have to draw the line somewhere with new versions and the Vista changes et al caused several delays.

But it and several other advanced features are planned for the next update in a few months (which currently is planned to be a maintenance 'update' not an upgrade and hence free of charge.)

I'd find a copy queue feature very useful, and I'm glad to hear that it is planned for the future. BTW, maybe it's OT, but looking at the little I've seen about DOpus 9, I'm really excited to get my hands on it. It looks like it'll have some wonderful improvements and is totally worth the upgrade fee. It looks like you GP guys have done a great job of keeping pace with the software out there, and with Windows Vista.

Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for GP & DOpus.

In DO9 it appears that now RAR will be natively supported. Have any other archive formats been added? I know that there are nearly a dozen that are in common use...
Someone introduced me to Servant Salamander (Which advertises itself as a Directory Opus alternative), and if it does anything better than DO, it looks like that could be its handling of archive formats... ISO Images, ZIP, RAR, ARJ, LZH, LHA, LZS, 7-ZIP, ACE, TAR, TGZ, BZ, BZ2, RPM, CPIO, Z, PK3, JAR, and Microsoft CAB.

Wow! I wouldn't expect DO to handle all those, but at least the really common ones. One thing that is great about DO is that you can buy one sweet package that will do the job of lots of other programs out there, all for one price. So it looks like on won't need to buy WinRAR to deal with other archives, for example.

Opus 9 adds Unicode support to the RAR plugin but apart from that it doesn't support RAR any more or less than Opus 8 already does.

[quote="Supacon"]ISO Images, ZIP, RAR, ARJ, LZH, LHA, LZS, 7-ZIP, ACE, TAR, TGZ, BZ, BZ2, RPM, CPIO, Z, PK3, JAR, and Microsoft CAB.

Wow! I wouldn't expect DO to handle all those, but at least the really common ones.[/quote]
ZIP, PK3 and JAR are all the same thing, so Opus supports those already, as well as (read-only) RAR.

People keep threatening to make a 7-Zip or Tar/TGZ VFS plugin but so far nobody has finished one. I am planning to take a few months off of my day job and in that sabbatical I'll be writing/updating several Opus plugins, so maybe I'll step in if nobody else has by then (but I'd rather not as there's plenty of other stuff to do, especially if people are already part of the way there!).

I hate "deep and fundamental and DESIGN changes" in mature and stable applications.

Maybe just use some process synchronization mechanism to process copy/move dialogs in order instead of independently? Anything that doesn't break internal DO's asynchronous operation?

X.

I can't find anything in the docs about supporting external devices. When I connect my PDA, it and its memory card show up in Vista's explorer, and I can drag files to them, but I can't seem to find a way to open it up in a lister. Will this be in DO9? Does DO8 do it and I'm just stupid and can't figure it out?
D.

[quote="djeaton3162"]I can't find anything in the docs about supporting external devices. When I connect my PDA, it and its memory card show up in Vista's explorer, and I can drag files to them, but I can't seem to find a way to open it up in a lister. Will this be in DO9? Does DO8 do it and I'm just stupid and can't figure it out?
D.[/quote]
Depends on the type of device, how it presents itself to the OS and/or Explorer, and how you access it in Explorer.

Stick some details about the device in a new thread (since this isn't specific to Opus 9) and we'll try to work out why it isn't appearing for you.

You're going senile... :slight_smile:

It was first announced as the 27th.[/quote]

Maybe I'm going senile also. Exactly where was/is this announcement?

gpsoft.com.au/

Hello tanis,

[quote][quote]Maybe I'm going senile also. Exactly where was/is this announcement?
[/quote][/quote]

[quote]http://www.gpsoft.com.au/
[/quote]
You may also need to hit refresh in your browser. I know that I did
the first time I viewed it.

--
Peace,
Wayne Howard

"Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses
them" -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Will it be released on May 27th Australian time? 8am? earlier?

I'm guessing that there's about an 8 hour time different (I'm in CST).

s/May/April/ :slight_smile: (It's out this Friday.)

I have a new Vista machine that I have not installed DO on because I will only install fully Vista compliant programs. I'm continuing to run my old XP machine in parallel for software that is not compliant yet. So here is my question...

When I buy DO 9 and install it on Vista is the best thing to do just export my settings/config and then move that to the Vista machine and import it? I guess I'm asking will DO 9 import DO 8 exported settings/config files?

I've been practically helpless on Vista without DO so DO 9 is very welcome news to me. I will be ordering Friday first thing.

Thanks!
Kelly E Major

That should work fine.

It would be nice if we could order now and just be emailed a link to download it when it comes out.

What difference would that make?

It might save me a couple of minutes? :smiley:

Well, why not spend the time reading the manual?

You don't have to wait to read about the new version. You can download the Opus 9 Reference Manual in pdf now!

gpsoft1.com/files/DOpus9ReferenceManual.pdf

[quote="greg"]Well, why not spend the time reading the manual?

You don't have to wait to read about the new version. You can download the Opus 9 Reference Manual in pdf now!

gpsoft1.com/files/DOpus9ReferenceManual.pdf[/quote]

Greg,

You are great! This is very useful. thanks!!