Windows 7 support update?

It might be worth waiting for the OEM pricing to be revealed if the discounted retail version is sold out.

OEM Windows is just as good as a full retail copy except you don't get support from MS (who ever uses that?) and you cannot transfer it to another machine (but unless you do that several times it still works out cheaper).

The annoying £=$ pricing means it can be cheaper to import from the USA, too. (The Euro pricing isn't much better, either.)

[quote="leo"]Sounds like Explorer Replacement mode was actually on. That can happen if you import a config that had it switched on (e.g. a config from a different OS or an earlier version of Opus which didn't stop you turning on Explorer Replacement on Windows 7.)
[/quote]
Unfortunately, that wasn't possible, as all my backups and configs for all my software were on the RAID. I specifically checked to make sure Opus wasn't in replacement mode, as I noted a couple of other users had experienced problems with that.
I haven't had a chance to reinstall just yet, but when I do, I'll take a few more precautions (and screenshots) just in case...
But thanks for the suggestion!

It is not DOPUS that causes the explorer replacement function to be bad. It is windows 7 they changed something in the context menus and with the overlay icons etc.

I have no issues with the explorer replacement really. What really is bothering me is that I don't see the explorer icons for tortoise svn but that has nothing to do with dopus. It doesnt work in windows explorer mode either even if I see an icon every now and then.

Hope microsoft releases a fix for that soon.

[quote="CatZ"]It is not DOPUS that causes the explorer replacement function to be bad. It is windows 7 they changed something in the context menus and with the overlay icons etc.

I have no issues with the explorer replacement really. What really is bothering me is that I don't see the explorer icons for tortoise svn but that has nothing to do with dopus. It doesnt work in windows explorer mode either even if I see an icon every now and then.

Hope microsoft releases a fix for that soon.[/quote]

what build are you running? i had the same problem with icon overlays used by DropBox in 7000 and 7100, but now i'm using 7229 and they work fine...

Running build 7100 here. Won't install anything not officially released. I need to format > C: and reinstall but I have to wait until october it looks like :slight_smile:

This is OT, but still...

The RC shellgame MS are playing doesn't seem to be working the way they expected, does it?

Their "official" explanation (that they are fixing different issues in different builds and that's why unofficial releases may not work as expected), and their... fear-mongering (don't download from bit torrent, there is malware in the builds, or the build 7700 release is just a build 7100 with the third digit changed AND there's malware included) are just so transparent, I'm surprised they can keep a straight face!

I mean, come on, with such a complex and sophisticated codebase, are you likely to include some fixes in some builds, and not include them in others, and vice versa?

I miss the good ole days with RC2/3/4/5/6/7 available (although still limited in release), and known bugs/features defined and for the most part understood.

I guess as long as they provide out-of-shop limited release testing, there will always be a market for the "latest" build, but still... Although I would have to say, the nerds are both dumber and nastier than I remember being when I was involved with the W95 and NT4 betas.

Hmm. Seems I've gotten middle-aged before I realised it.

Back to the usual programming...

I think it is rubbish that their thanks for people helping to beta-test the OS is to leave them hanging on beta code for months when newer, better code is ready. Especially once the RTM is ready. Complicates life for 3rd party devs as well.

There has been malware in some of the builds. At the same time, their recent blog post made it sound like there was malware in almost all of the builds, which was stretching the truth.

Even if nobody had found malware in any of the builds I'd still I think it very silly to download a build that couldn't be verified and run it on anything but a test PC/VM that didn't have any network access.

Um... Yes, absolutely, that is very likely. That's exactly what they did, too.

Me too.

Thanks everyone for the heartening suggestions!

Unfortunately, the same thing has just happened again.

Whenever I try to run a plain, vanilla explorer instance, DOpus opens every time.

I promise I haven't turned on explorer replacement or anything remotely similar.

The strange thing is that when I clicked on the "Windows Explorer" button yesterday (the shortcut pinned by default to the task bar), I got the Windows Explorer. Today, after not rebooting or installing a single thing, I get Opus.

I'm in the middle of a catfight over on the W7 support forums regarding Windows Explorer context menus, and just when I thought I was winning, when I double-checked just to make sure, bing! No more explorer.

If anyone can offer any troubleshooting suggestions (such as running something from a command prompt, which I've tried but not succeeded yet, as manually specifying the path, executable, and extension still brings up Opus), I'd be happy to try anything at this stage.

Did you try the FAQ on manually disabling Explorer Replacement?

Whoops, never thought of checking the FAQ for the problem. D'oh!

So I just checked up on that, and the results were a little bit different (as you'd expect with a different UI), but the class ID key did the trick.

There's no "run" option in W7 (I assume that Vista is the same), but the nice "free text search" tool found regedit.exe. Just FYI, there is no default start menu entry for regedit, so the alternative is to either use the key search tool, or else bring up a command prompt (I guess, unless there's a better way to do this that will also work with Vista? Sorry, I would love to learn all about the new way of finding/running stuff in the new UI, but I'm flat out with firefighting just now... If I get a chance, I'll dig into the help and see what the new way of back-dooring the start menu is!)

[quote]Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
There should be a default string value which is set to openindopus; right-click on the (Default) label and select delete, so that it is not set to anything. [/quote]
The key is there, but there's no dopus anything that I could see in the key or any subkeys.

It wasn't and so it wasn't. I like consistency! :open_mouth:

NOW we're talking. Deleted.

Nope, but there is a key for EE761688-C137-4b04-8FAB-3C9CDF0886F0, which I didn't touch.

So the short answer is : THANKS!

It's still there, but it's off by default. You can enable it through the Prefs for the start menu. Also Windows+R brings it up just like it always has.

The main text field in the Vista and Windows 7 start menus makes the Run option redundant as you can run anything from it... I've updated the FAQ for people who don't realise this.

Some here have said it works fine for them on Windows 7. For me, it does not show the windows items on the context menu. For example, there's no extract files here from WinRAR, Open With, or New... Am I the only one with this particular problem? Anyone else?

Do they appear if you hold Shift? If so then they're hidden the "hide windows items..." Prefs setting.

If not, do they appear in Explorer? The WinRAR one in particular... If not it might be that you've installed a 32-bit version of the program (or its shell extension at least) rather than a 64-bit one, if you're using Winodws 7 64-bit.

I'm not sure about WinRAR but some programs now come in 32-bit and 64-bit flavours and you need to install the 64-bit one to get its context menus appearing in Explorer and Opus on a 64-bit machine.

On the other hand, the installers for some programs take care of this automatically.

(Note: The programs themselves can still be 32-bit. That's not usually an issue. They just need to have a 64-bit shell extension DLL, if they install a shell extension at all, for the extension to be able to modify Explorer/Opus on 64-bit Windows.)

Thanks! Not sure how that happened to get on, but I'm all set now. whoohoo :smiley:

Yet another fine feature that MS got wrong AND right.

I use a taskbar/systray replacement tool (part of Winstep Xtreme) normally, but I've actually stopped using it!

The little search box in the start menu almost makes the rest of the start menu redundant! What a great little idea.

Beats the hell out of trying to remember if a tool is in "Administrative Tools", or All Programs|Accessories|System Tools, or somewhere else. And now you can burrow in to Device Manager in 4 keypresses without having to tak' the high road (via My Computer (or whatever you've renamed that to)|Properties|Hardware|Device Manager.

Unfortunately, they've used the same feature-challenged search tool for all other system searches too. I'm sure that works really well if you attach MSDN to the search systems list and you use it all the time, but try searching for anything more complicated and you're far, FAR better off using Opus' cool search tool. (I'm so glad that still works in W7 guys!)

Sorry, that first line should have read:
Yet another fine feature that MS got wrong AND right.
I really do wish I could edit my posts here. I do try and proofread my stuff before I post, but I'm not very good at it. Any chance of turning on self-editing guys, or is this too much of a flame risk?

I've edited it for you. No, we're not turning editing back on for the Help & Support forum. It was too much of a problem the last two times we tried turning it on to be worth it just to avoid the odd typo and follow-up post.

Well, Windows 7 hits Technet today! I'm not a subscriber so I still have to wait until October, but maybe our favorite developers will be getting a copy to play with? I would be quite glad if the fix is ready by the time Windows 7 hits the shelves :smiley:

I just started using Windows 7 Ultimate when it went to TechNet. I can't wait for DOpus to support 7; Windows Explorer is horrid.