Windows 7 support update?

Sorry if this is raised elsewhere, but... What are the plans (if any) to support W7 x64?

There have been a couple of long-running threads about problems with the build 7000 and earlier releases, but I'm now running build 7100, and I REALLY don't like the conceptually deficient "explorer" (now there's an oxymoron), but the Opus install gets nervous about installing, and I can't risk any more problems...

I've found out the hard way about junctions and virtual folders, so I know it's going to be a really tough nut to crack, but I have every reason to expect you'll do it better and faster than you thought!

Unfortunately, due to a bad RAID rebuild (well, the wrong autocarve patch sent by the well-meaning support guy did most of the damage, I was the one who clicked on "Rebuild" :frowning: ) I've lost absolutely everything, so instead of jumping off the Westgate, I figured, what the hell, let's try W7 x64. Turns out, it might have been the best decision I've made all year. Even on my crappy outdated hardware, it runs faster, sexier, and more stably than any previous OS (so far! So far!), so for me it looks like a no-brainer.

The only catch is the incredibly intelligence-retarded explorer. I didn't think they could actually make a pretty crapulous tool worse, but they've exceeded even my wildest nightmares. So Opus is a requirement, not an optional extra!

As per the other threads:

Everything should work fine with Windows 7, except for Explorer Replacement mode which current versions of Opus don't let you switch on under Windows 7.

That's all that GPSoftware have announced so far, given that Windows 7 isn't actually released yet. If you want to know more you could try writing to GPSoftware via their support page.

At this stage the plan is to release a free update for Opus 9 to support Explorer Replacement mode in Windows 7, probably around the time Windows 7 is released in October. Support for new Windows 7 features will not happen until Opus 10.

Support for new Windows 7 features? Sounds great! I hope to see Favorites show up in the jumplist :smiley:

PCPete, I've been running Opus in Windows 7 every day for almost 8 months now, since the OS was pre-beta. Everything works fine. Naturally there are snags when you try to merge Opus with Explorer (replacement mode, dealing with Libraries, etc.), but since none of those features are in any way essential, I don't miss not having them at all.

[quote="newguy"]Support for new Windows 7 features? Sounds great! I hope to see Favorites show up in the jumplist :smiley:

PCPete, I've been running Opus in Windows 7 every day for almost 8 months now, since the OS was pre-beta. Everything works fine. Naturally there are snags when you try to merge Opus with Explorer (replacement mode, dealing with Libraries, etc.), but since none of those features are in any way essential, I don't miss not having them at all.[/quote]

Same here. Opus works excellent. Had 2 or 3 crashes in 1.9.2.2.But before and after didn't have problems.

Dopus 9.1.3.0 explorer replacement is working perfectly on windows 7 7600 and I dont have any issues (x64). just wanted to let you guy know.

Hmm, are you sure? It'd be weird for MS to make any last minute changes there but nice if they have.

If Explorer Replacement is working then you should be able to double-click a folder shortcut on the desktop and have it open in Opus. You should also be able to open a Control Panel (e.g. "Uninstall or change a program") from the Start Menu and have it open in Explorer.

The problem with the old Explorer Replacement system on Win7 was that it prevented Control Panel shortcuts from working.

build 7600 is said to be RTM. They had last minute showstoppers but fixed them.
Nice indeed if it works. That should save gpsoft some work.

The leaked 7.7600.16384.090710-1945 isn't RTM, FWIW. Seems likely that some 7600 build will be RTM, though. Not long now...

I'd like to see the 7600 build, if for no other reason that I'd prefer my current system recovery to be based on the latest code, even if it isn't RTM yet.

There's less work rewiring the OS if I do it BEFORE I start adding the bloatware I need for the rest of my business!

Thanks to everyone who responded, I finally bit the slug and installed O9.1.3, without the explorer replacement (and without any of the other default handling, which bit me on the donkey * the last time I forgot to change it back), and it's so NICE to see a familiar explorer interface again.

For all the fluff, there's enough under the hood of W7 to keep me really interested. But there is a LOT of fluff, so I don't think it will be easy or quick to get running optimally.

Cheers,
PCPete

• : or "ass", "burro" or your favourite ungulate :slight_smile:

[quote="leo"][quote="buhrmi"]
If Explorer Replacement is working then you should be able to double-click a folder shortcut on the desktop and have it open in Opus. You should also be able to open a Control Panel (e.g. "Uninstall or change a program") from the Start Menu and have it open in Explorer[/quote][/quote]

both working

i was surprised too because it did not work in 7100.

And this is exactly why GPSoftware don't bother supporting new versions of Windows until something is actually released. Playing catchup with beta/rtm versions is just a waste of time.

seriously working in 7600? i've not downloaded it yet, waiting for an official word on RTM. but if it does, that's exciting news.

i pre-ordered Windows 7 Home Premium last night for the ridiculously low price of 50 quid. got in before supplies ran out :smiley:

[quote="newguy"]
i pre-ordered Windows 7 Home Premium last night for the ridiculously low price of 50 quid. got in before supplies ran out :smiley:[/quote]

Glad you posted this newguy, I forgot pre-orders started yesterday. Home Premium is just £45 not £50 though :slight_smile:

Per an email received (in Sydney, Australia) from Microsoft yesterday..

"We are on our way to the last big milestone: Release to Manufacturing. Starting on October 22, you’ll see it on PCs and store shelves."

Regards, AB

[quote="newguy"]seriously working in 7600? i've not downloaded it yet, waiting for an official word on RTM. but if it does, that's exciting news.

i pre-ordered Windows 7 Home Premium last night for the ridiculously low price of 50 quid. got in before supplies ran out :smiley:[/quote]

Where did you pre order? And is that only for the UK? I wanted to preorder to but it was only for US and Canada..Can't find anything on ms site about pre-order for the netherlands.

Hmmm.

I've now uninstalled Opus, because I was experiencing some pretty confusing problems when creating new libraries, and copying between libraries, and removing folders from libraries.

Most of the problems were due to the newness of the library concept, which I now understand much better, so I'll probably be avoiding them like the plague, even in plain old Explorer.

The most severe problem was when I tried to create a new library in a standard single-pane Opus lister. The disk system spun its wheels for about 12 minutes before I finally pulled the plug, and then it didn't shut down cleanly.

Unfortunately, although I specifically didn't configure Opus for explorer replacement, under no conditions could I actually create an explorer window of any kind - they were all Opus listers. Even using the command-line and specifying some switches, Opus opened up, not Explorer.

When I closed the Opus task notification item, and tried again, same thing, only Opus.

If I'm missing something important, I'd be delighted to know what it is!

But the uninstall went quickly and uneventfully, and once I've finished configuring and disabling as many library components and features as possible, I'll reinstall Opus, if only because the explorer is just too...strange and pretty, with not much in the way of help or alternatives. If I have to resize a new explorer window so I can see the damn columns again, I'll go back to DOS. My goodness, what a strange and glittery thing explorer is. Like a telescope with a hole in it.

Sounds like Explorer Replacement mode was actually on. That can happen if you import a config that had it switched on (e.g. a config from a different OS or an earlier version of Opus which didn't stop you turning on Explorer Replacement on Windows 7.)

Current versions of Opus hide the Explorer Replacement page of Preferences, but they don't actually prevent the option being turned on when you import a config backup.

There's a FAQ on manually disabling Explorer Replacement via the registry that should help in that situation.

Sorry to continue offtopic, but...

I pre-ordered from Microsoft's EU store for £50 because I just wanted a download version so I didn't have to wait for shipping to Hungary. But they went through their allotment in a matter hours, like most online retailers who offered this price. Now the price for Home Premium at the Microsoft Store is up to £79.99.

Curry's still has it for the promotional price, but I don't know if they ship internationally...

currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/457250

(This offer is just for us EU folk who have to buy Windows 7 without IE, and therefore cannot buy upgrade discs)