35 second delay in file right-click menu display

I recently upgraded to Directory Opus 13.4 (build 8838) and have it installed on 2 identical computers running the latest version of Windows 10 version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.4170).

When I right-click on any file, the pop-up menu takes 35 seconds to show up on one of the computers, and about 7 seconds on the other computer. I have tried rebooting the computers with no change in behaviour. When I perform the same right-click operation on a file in Windows Explorer on both computers, the pop-up menu appears in about 3 seconds.

Any help in solving this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks

This is almost always caused by shell extensions something else has installed. Here's how to track down the one(s) causing delays:

Thanks, Leo. I'll have a look at what you have sent and see if I can solve the issue with this info.

Regarding this "Extremely Quick Fix", it seems to me that this documentation is for an older version of Directory Opus, as the Hide Windows items on file context menus (shift overrides) is not under the Preferences / Miscellaneous / Windows Integration: section, nor can I find it anywhere else in Settings.

Please advise.

Thanks

It's under Preferences / Miscellaneous / Shell Extensions now.

I've updated the FAQ for Opus 13.

1 Like

I ran DebugView on both PCs. On the PC that only has a 7 second delay in displaying the context menu, there are only about 439 lines in the log file. On the PC that has a 35 second delay in displaying the context menu, there are 8098 lines in the log file. I compared the two log files, and on the PC with the long delay in displaying the context menu, It appears that many things are loaded multiple times and there are a lot of error messages, especially GetFileAttributes errors found in "C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local" for Google Chrome, Vivaldi and Microsoft Edge, specifically in AppData\Local\ subfolders named Crashpad\attachments with additional information at the end of each error message stating that "The system cannot find the file specified. (0x2). I have looked in these folders and they are empty.

The lines about GetFileAttributes are probably coming from Chrome, not Opus.

Zip up the logs and attach them if you want us to take a look.

Here are the logs for you to review. One further thing that I observed is that the 35 second delay happens for files such as PDF, MS Word, MS Excel, but not for .zip files. I should also point out that both PCs have the same software installed. Why would this delay happen in Directory Opus, but not in Windows Explorer? Thanks for your help!
BH-T470-16 LOG 7 seconds to context menu.zip (11.8 KB)
BH-T470-32 log 35 seconds to context menu.zip (97.1 KB)

Is 13.4 definitely installed on both machines?

The 35s delay looks like it's coming from Dropbox leaving hundreds of old shell extensions registered, which 13.4 should handle.

Yes, 13.4 is definitely on both PCs (build 8838)

Long story short, I thought the issue was solved by doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of DropBox but I had an issue with the first DropBox reinstall and had to do another complete uninstall and reinstall of DropBox. This led back to a 15 second delay in invoking the context menu, so I did yet another complete uninstall and reinstall of DropBox and now it has made matters much worse. When invoking the context menu on a file WITHIN the DropBox folder, the delay in the context menu is at least more than 8 minutes, after which I gave up and quit Directory Opus using Task Manager. So at this point, Directory Opus is basically unusable for me. When invoking the context menu on a file OUTSIDE the DropBox folder, the delay in appearance of the context menu is only about 4 seconds. So whatever this issue is must be related to DropBox. As I mentioned previously, invoking the context menu on a file WITHIN the DropBox folder using Windows Explorer only takes about 3 seconds for the context menu to appear.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Directory Opus 13.4 but this didn't help.

Your ongoing help would be most appreciated. I have attached the latest log file for the affected computer. Please bear in mind that the log file only represents approximately the first 7-8 minutes of trying to invoke the Context Menu on a file in DropBox.

Thanks,

Bob
BH-T470-32 Log 2024-03-17.3.zip (48.0 KB)

Thanks for the log file, would you please be able to provide an export of a particular registry key as well? Hopefully that will help us work out what's going on.

• Start -> Run -> regedit.exe
  • Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
  • Locate the PackagedCom key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
  • Right-click it and choose Export from the context menu
  • Save it to your desktop (give it a name like "PackagedCOM" or similar). It shouldn't be a big file but you could zip it to make it even smaller.
  • Email it to us at crashdumps@gpsoft.com.au

Thanks!

I emailed the PackagedCOM key in a .zip file (attached) from the Windows Registry (Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PackagedCom) to crashdumps@gpsoft.com.au

It appears that the only entry is named Default, Type REX_SZ and the data value is not set.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Bob

We made a change in the 13.4.2 beta version which hopefully will improve this, please try it and let us know how you go.

I am thrilled to report that the DropBox file context menu displays within 2 seconds with the new 13.4.2 beta.

Thanks so much!

Bob

2 Likes