3D Object preview (3mf, fbx, glb, gltf, obj, ply, stl)

Does it work in File Explorer's viewer?

If it doesn't work there either, the component or some of its registry settings may be broken and the issue is outside of Opus.

We just host the viewer, but the viewer itself is a part of Windows.

Does Windows 3d Viewer File Explorer's viewer? I don't know...is it supposed to? Did you get that to happen? For me, it doesn't load in Explorer by default and I don't see any options to get it in there. In your video you select an obj file and it just previews in your Opus/I guess also in your Explorer window. Is that just happening by default for you? And if not, are there additional settings or preferences that I can adjust in Opus? Alternatively, I just installed the third party program called QuickLook (I think you referred to that in this thread or another one) and the Quicklook extension called Helix. Those allow me to preview my objs by hitting space bar. Is there anyway to integrate this preview into the Opus viewer pane?

Then the viewer is broken, or doesn't support the particular files you're trying to view, at least.

When it is working, it works automatically in Explorer. (That's what Microsoft wrote it for. We just implemented the same host APIs so it can also work in Opus.)

Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

Fbx files don't load in the preview pane for me. Obj does. Any ideas?

Do they work in the viewer pane in File Explorer?

Im sorry I didnt read couple of comments above. None of the fbx files load in the viewer in explorer neither ( I can remember it did though). I guess its a windows problem or something wrong on my end.

so good, but i how to downloading it ?

It's part of Windows 10.

But it's too slow to turn on FBX、OBJ

If the viewer is slow for a file format, we can't do anything about that, as it is Microsoft's viewer, not ours. We merely made it possible to use their viewer in Opus. What the viewer does is down to Microsoft, and if you have feedback about it you need to send it to them rather than us.

Hi i'm actually testing Windows 11. it seems that 3dbuilder (the 3d viewer of windows 10) is now only available through the microsoft store and not installed by default. i installed it, and the viewer in DO is not working anymore, maybe i must do something or ??? any idea ? thanks :slight_smile: !

Does it work in File Explorer's preview pane for the same files?

If not, ask Microsoft. It's their viewer, and their unfinished beta OS you're beta-testing, not ours.

Hi, i understand that the team hate microsoft and when they release their new OS lol ;). was just asking in case. thanks for the tips, the preview is not working anymore in file explorer , so I assume they abandonned the support for 3Dbuilder as it was included in Windows 10 before. Too Bad, it was a nice feature. Thanks anyway ;).

It's a shame if Microsoft have abandoned it in Win11, but not very surprising as they seem to have abandoned a lot of their preview handlers*, and the 3D Object Viewer was already starting to fall apart just months after it came out (with several formats no longer working at all, or not working as well as they first did), as neat as it was initially.

(* I'm not sure video playback works in File Explorer at all these days, for example; they seem to have blocked their own preview handler for that, at least the last time I tried it.)

It was a pain to make the 3D Object Viewer work, too, since it depended on a lot of non-standard Windows Store / Metro / etc. style registration systems. One day we'll learn to stop investing time supporting Microsoft's new things until they are a bit older and proven, as many of them don't even last for a year before MS have abandoned them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, the 3dbuilder is still available as a separated software in the windows store, it's a nice small software for learning modelling. yes, it'sa shame they abonned it and the implantation in windows. it's even much better than a lot of basic 3D software. I noticed too that some formats where not working anymore.

I certainly must post this in an another topic (don't know which one or i create one ? ) it's about the video preview in DO. Some works, some doesn't. I had the same issue in Windows 10.
I followed a tutorial here because it was not working before, so it shows the UI of Windows media player in the preview panel. I just tried a video, it opened in a separate video a window called active movie window, it's all white. it seems it crashed DO.

Again, Thanks for your amazing software, the great support, i had an atari and amiga before, and the double panel was the best. The explorer is an awful thing, it's like the registery, the one who invented that need torture lol !

1 Like