7-zip context menus on 64-bit Windows Vista

Hi,

Before I ask for help, I just want to say thanks for this great program. I've got many people to switch and it works great on my 32-bit systems. I know there may be already a problem with this request, but hopefully there's a workaround I just don't know of. So far I haven't found any other problems, which is good. I have not contacted 7-zip regarding this yet, so just tell me if needed.

I've installed a 64-bit version of 7-zip which of course works fine in Explorer. Sadly it seems 64-bit's context menus(and file associations?) cannot be used in 32-bit apps. Installing the 32-bit version of 7-zip fixes this, but they all point to that version of course. Right now I can only think of two ways of fixing this, which is possibly using regedit or just manually making a context menu for a file type group. I don't want to waste time if there's a simpler and sure way to do it, which is why I'm here :slight_smile:

I was thinking of replacing all x86 7-zip registry entries to the 64-bit install, but I'm unsure it'd work. I tried replacing the x86 installed files with the 64-bit ones but the context menu(and associations?) disappeared completely. Since it's controlled by the app itself, I guess I'll have to recreate them in Opus. If a method other than remaking the menu doesn't exist, please provide some info so I won't have to possibly ask later. I have a general idea of how to do it, but I'd rather not do unneeded things or have silly mistakes to fix later.

Many thanks for reading and for your time. Cheers :smiley:

64-bit apps cannot (directly) load 32-bit DLLs and vice versa so, since Opus is a 32-bit app, you have to install the 32-bit version of 7-zip for it to work. (Just copying some registry settings is not enough.)

You can often install both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of shell extensions like 7-zip at the same time but it does depend on them being written with this in mind.

Alternatively, wait for a 64-bit version of Opus to become available. One is in development but I don't think any release date has been set so far.