9.5.1 changes folders by itself

[ Admin note: A fix for this issue is in Opus 9.5.2.5 and above. ]

I would like to know if it is save to downgrade from 9.5.1 to 9.3.

Why? Now, I am experiencing strange behaviour: DOpus changes directories without any interaction of my. This happens in different intervals. Most of the time he goes one directory up, sometimes more than one.

The most frustrating is that I can't find out why and under which circumstances he does it.

• Sometimes he goes one up after I pressed to "Copy MOVE" a file from one disk to another.

• Sometimes I sit there staring at the screen, wanting to catch him and say: "Ah, got you!" - bot nothing happens :frowning:

• Most of the time I just let the (dual pane) Lister in the background while doing other stuff. When I come back I (sometimes) find that he changed the dir.

• I updated DOpus to 9.5.1

• I didn't change anything else on the system

• I'm still with WinXP SP3 / without admin rights

Or could one try to help to find out why this happens?

Do you have the folder tree turned on?

This could be related to a problem a couple of people have reported (but that GPSoft can't reproduce so far) where the folder tree keeps refreshing. GPSoft were looking for people to help debug the problem, last I heard about it.

FWIW, 9.5.0.0 is on the GPSoft download page at the moment if you want to see if the problem was introduced in 9.5.1.0.

Yes, Folder tree is on.

I thought those problems were only to new users...
I would like to help to debug - if I knew how :slight_smile:

I'll try 9.5.0 - can I just install it over 9.5.1 or should I uninstall it first?

That's an unrelated issue.

(I don't know if the folder-tree issue was added in 9.5.1 or 9.5.0, though. It could be that 9.5.0 is the same.)

Drop GPSoft a note asking to help. I think they'll send you a special version of dopus.exe that prints some debug information.

Install 9.5.0 over the top. Don't uninstall as that would wipe your Opus config.

FYI, in 9.5.2 this problem seems to not exist anymore (at least for me).

I have the same problem, since changing from DOpus 9.5.1 to 9.5.2.
It's very frustrating, if DOpus is changing the dir, while I'm renaming a file.
With Version 9.5.1 I hadn't any problems (Windows Vista).

I have reinstalled DOpus, but I got the same issue. Where can I download DOpus 9.5.1, so I could downgrade?

I hope someone can help me.

I just upgraded to 9.5.2 from 9.5.1, and I am experiencing the same problem. I sent an email to GPSoftware, but it doesnt seem tat they are aware of this issue. This is the answer I got:

"We've never heard of such a thing before and essentially Opus can't change folders without some input from the user or something on your machine.

I can't think of anyway that Opus can do this so the best thing would be to post a message to the Dopus Resource Centre with the details of your system and exactly what you are seeing. Perhaps some other users can repeat the issue or have some suggestions as to the cause of what you are seeing."

This is a very frustrating issue, I have to keep going back through many clicks to the folder in which I was working... I was very happy with Directory Opus since I started using it, but this thing has forced me to use Windows Explorer for the last few days. I do hope there is some solution from someone...

Thanks

I'm a bit confused by these reports - some people are saying the problem started in 9.5.1 and is gone in 9.5.2, and some are saying the reverse.

So far the only reports we've had of this (3 or 4) have been from Windows XP users - is anyone seeing this NOT using Windows XP?

What are you doing when this happens? Are you actively working in Opus at the time (doing what, if so?), or are you outside of Opus using another program?

What folder is showing in Opus when it happens, and what folder do you get moved to? Is it the same every time?

Thanks, Jon

I got this problem since I upgraded from 9.5.1 to 9.5.2. It never happened while I used 9.5.1, so I was also surprised to read some user had the problem with 9.5.1 and dissappeared with 9.5.2...

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3.

This issue normally happens whenever I move a file by dragging and dropping into a folder in DOpus. The folder changes by itself. Most of the times (almost always) it moves to 'My documents' but sometimes it moves one or two levels above the folder I was working in. However, some other times it just changes by itself (i.e. I am working with any other program and when I go back to DOpus it is showing 'My documents' instead of the folder that I was using).

Hoping this helps to find some solution.

Thanks

By the way, I read that one of the users posting on this issue is using Windows Vista, so maybve it is not just for XP users.

Thanks

I'm currently running Windows Vista 32. And in DOpus 9.5.1 I had never a prolem like this. But a few minutes after updating to 9.5.2 the problem started. Most of the time, it happens, I'm just working in Dopus (renaming, moving, coping and so on). Until today I couldn't monitor the issue, if DOpus is runnning in the background.
Most time, DOpus is jumping into the root folder C:.

Most time, it happens, if I'm working with files, which will be synced by Jungledisk 3.04. I'm not sure, if there is any coherency.

Next days, I want to install DOpus on a Windows 7 machine and will post my experience.

Hope, you can help to solve this frustrating issue.

joe

PHPBB_IMPORT_WARNING CODE_NEAR_LI

If you're having this problem with 9.5.2:

[ul][li]Please go to Preferences - Miscellaneous - Advanced and turn on shellchange_debug
[/li]
[li]Download the small DebugView tool from Microsoft and run it. If you see an error message about extracting Dbgv.sys you can ignore it as we are not interested in debugging device drivers.

Note that other programs may also send messages to DebugView and not everything that you see printed comes from Opus.
[/li]
[li]See what "ShellChange" messages come from Opus and report back here. For example, if you insert or remove a USB stick you might see something like this:

[4288] dopus: ShellChange: 0000000004AF18D0, 3 [4288] dopus: ShellChange: dwEvent = 20000 [4288] dopus: ShellChange: rename disk L:\ [4288] dopus: ShellChange: 0000000004AF1900, 3 [4288] dopus: ShellChange: dwEvent = 2000 [4288] dopus: ShellChange: update item = L:\ [4288] dopus: ShellChange: 0000000004AF1900, 3 [4288] dopus: ShellChange: dwEvent = 40 [4288] dopus: ShellChange: Insert/remove [4288] dopus: ShellChange: iDriveNum = 12

Pay particular attention to differences between when Opus is behaving normally and shortly before or after the problem is triggered.

Normally, you should not see many "ShellChange" messages. If you see a lot of them all the time then that might be a clue as to the trigger and help other people reproduce it.

If you see a lot of "ShellChange" messages, can you identify something you are doing or a program (or shell extension, e.g. context menu add-ons) you are running that might be the source of the events, based on the folders involved?[/li][/ul]
Thanks!

Hi, I'm getting this 'auto folder change' thing as well, since updating to 9.5.2.0.3660.x86. (Not sure what I was on before; it was < 9.5.1 but not much earlier)

I'm at work, on a domain, Win XP Pro SP3 with several mapped network drives. I'm using Dopus in 'dual lister' mode with the Tree on.

If I'm using my network mapped drives, Dopus will frequently jump to the root of the drive (Z:, W:). So I will navigate to a folder a few levels deep and a few seconds later Dopus will flicker and jump back to the root.

I'm trying it now, I navigate a few folders in, wait 4-5 seconds and the lister jumps back to the root of the drive again. The 'back' arrow takes me back where I was. Sometimes it waits until I switch between listers, or go off and do something on the desktop. Sometimes it doesn't do it, but I can see the Dopus app 'refreshing' or redrawing approx. every 15 seconds.

I think it only does it on the currently selected lister of the two (the 'green' one). Also - just noticed - the green and orange bars above the listers go bright when it happens, as if receiving focus, but the application itself does not get focus (title bar remains grey).

This doesn't seem to happen with my C drive or with USB sticks, only the network ones and it didn't happen on the old version.

Apologies for length..

[by the way tried DebugView. Ran it but it just sat there - I saw no messages at all. Tried all the options, etc. for ages, gave up. ]

Is anyone going to try the shellchange_debug logging I asked for in my previous post?

It's been a week now and I don't think anyone's come back with a log.

(Edit: Was writing this before I saw the reply directly above. See next reply.)

Thanks! (Didn't see that when writing my previous reply.)

Did you have DebugView running when one of the refreshes happened?

If you insert and then eject (safely remove) a USB device it should trigger some DebugView output that'll let you confim the logging is working.

That makes me wonder if another program could be sending messages to Opus accidentally... In the past we ran into a problem where another tool was accidentally broadcasting messages to all open windows, with the messages being in the private range, so each program would interpret them differently. Some programs ignored them and some behaved unexpectedly.

It's just a theory, but it's possible that something the affected people have running has been sending messages like this all the time but only Opus 9.5.1 or 9.5.2 started interpreting the messages (in a way which is detectable, at least).

Difficult theory to test, though... Also wouldn't explain why it only seems to happen on some folders. So maybe I'm way off, but it might be worth mentioning any 3rd party apps or shell extensions you've got running in the background in case a pattern emerges.

I'll set up an XP virtual machine and leave it pointing at a network path, too, to see if it happens for me. I think Jon @ GPSoft already did something similar without success, but maybe not using a network path. Can't hurt to try.

I had this issue on my Windows Vista Client. Now I'm just trying on another Client with Windows 7 on it and I have the same issue.
Should it be, I'm the only one with this problem on Vista and Windows 7? :question:

joe

Could anyone experiencing this problem post a screenshot or two showing how they have Opus set-up when it happens?

Also, could anyone with the problem check if they have any locked folder tabs?

Even if you don't have any folder tabs visible, open a new one (File -> Open New Tab) and then look at your tabs to see if any have a lock icon on their right like the first two of these three: