A Renewed Call for DTS Integration, Besides Google DTS

There are several threads on the forum concerning integration of various desktop search (DTS) programs with DOpus. [* Listed below.] DTS is important in addition to DOpus because of the need to search within pdf files, and perhaps other filetypes, which DOpus can't do but DTS can. I wish to reopen this general topic.

Of the several DTS programs that are available, at present the only one that DOpus can use integrally is Google Desktop Search (Google DTS). Several DOpus users have sought on this forum the additional integration of one or more of the following DTS: Copernic, X1, and Vista's built-in one (but I use XP).

From DOpus' end, the integration with Google DTS works beautifully; however, two problems with Google DS led me to uninstall GDTS long ago. They are: (1) Google DS is very intrusive, greatly slowing down my system all too often; and (2) It really thrashes the hard drive, making loud clicking noises no other program ever has -- likely hard on the drive, as well as driving my wife (and sometimes me) nuts. So I no more Google DTS.

I now have been using Copernic DTS for nearly a year, and find it to be superior in all regards to Google DTS, except that it is not integrated with DOpus (which makes it less efficient to use in my daily work), and the interface is a bit clumsy. If DOpus were to integrate Copernic in the way it has for Google, both downsides would disappear.

For those who haven't seen how DOpus integrates GDTS, it is completely seamless. In the find dialog box there are tabs for doing either a standard DOpus find exercise, or one that has GDTS search its index of contents of all files (or those filtered) on the computer. The GDTS results appear in just the same way as DOpus find results. They can be sorted, and the files can be opened or managed. It's really cool. The problem is, I just can't tolerate GDTS itself, apart from this excellent integration.

From the other threads I understand that for a DTS to integrated, and API must be available. I hope GP Software staff can look into the availability of APIs for both Copernic (which has a free version available) and X1, and provide integration for those services.

[ * ] Some previous threads on DTS integration needs in DOpus:

PDF Indexing Plug-in (Jan. 2009)

Indexing...why hasn't someone written a plugin ( Sept 2006, revived in 2009)

Optimising file search using NTFS (Dec. 2008)
https://resource.dopus.com/t/optimising-file-search-using-ntfs/7112/1

(And older threads from 2006 and 2007.)

As we continually say here, for Official requests and support you need to contact GPSoftware directly and use their request form.

Thanks, Steve. Actually I did both at the same time.