Access is denied. (5)

My computer updated from Win 10 to Win 11. I am using Bitdefender and use DO as my directory default. I discovered I was unable to start Zoom from an email link. When drilling down to C:/Users/me/AppData/Roaming/Zoom, when I try to access the next level (Bin) to get to Zoom.exe, I get the message 'Access is denied.(5)'. However, I have no problems accessing this subdirectory with Microsoft's File Explorer (FE). In fact, I get the same error message trying any of the subdirectories of Zoom using DO, while FE accesses them all. This blocks me from even starting Zoom from a link sent to me unless I switch default to FE. I uninstalled and reinstalled Zoom and problem persists. I have not experienced this problem on any other subdirectory yet. Strangely, if I copy the Zoom directory to a temporary subdirectory, I can access all the subdirectories. BUT, after deleting the original Zoom directory and copying the temporary Zoom directory back to it's prior Roaming subdirectory, I can no longer access the Zoom subdirectories and get the same error message! I am using DO as administrator. I also made a temporary subdirectory called 'temp' under Roaming, and I could access all Zoom subdirectories! But, if I eliminated the original Zoom directory and promoted the Zoom directory under the temp subfolder to Roaming, I could not access the subdirectories. It's as if some blocking program somewhere recognizes the path C:/Users/me/AppData/Roaming/Zoom/Bin and denies OD access to it, but allows C:/Users/me/AppData/Roaming/Zoom/Temp/Bin and can't be fooled by promoting the file back to C:/Users/me/AppData/Roaming/Zoom/Bin.

The Access Denied error comes from the operating system and means dopus.exe was denied access to the folder. BitDefender may be involved and could be treating the two programs differently, perhaps. It's also possible Opus is running under a different user account to File Explorer (rare, but can happen if you use UAC elevation, which shouldn't be used on the whole process; see the FAQs for more detail and the proper way to elevate Opus).

In any case, the issue is something outside of Opus and Opus is merely reporting the error from the OS.

1 Like