Adding columns into file displays

Something I noticed in DO12 that's been carried forward is that when you insert a column into an existing file display the new column is always put it at the end fo all other columns.

Could we have the new column inserted at the location of the cursor so that it would add the column after the column that's been right clicked and before the next column? Rather than at the far right?

If you do it by right-clicking the column header, it'll be put next to where you right-clicked.

In other cases, the command that turns on the column can specify where to add it (relative to other columns).

I just added a column. It got added to the far right. I don't see any option to control where it's added.

Which method did you use to add it?

I missed your reply.

I right clicked the header and the new field got put at the end.

Try resetting the Column Header context menu (assuming you haven't made any changes to it that you need to keep):

That made a difference but I'm not sure I understand how it's working.

Seems there's some place in the context clicked column where it changes from inserting the column to the left of the existing column to the right of the existing column and I'm not sure where that is.

The dual vertical lister I'm currently using has a Name filed that spans several panes. When i click on the label in the first pane it seems to want to place the new column to the left, So if I want it on the right I have to scroll to the 2nd pane and then add the column to get it on the right side of the Name field. Any field that would span across a pane being a multiple pane field or a field split across the end of the current pane to the beginning of the next could be a minor annoyance.

A short field like Ext. that currently doesn't span any panes seems like you have to be to the left or right past center to have it insert on the appropriate side I'm guessing?

It inserts into the position nearest where you clicked.

The dual vertical lister I'm currently using has a Name filed that spans several panes. When i click on the label in the first pane it seems to want to place the new column to the left nomatter where I click it, So if I want it on the right I have to scroll to the 2nd pane and then add the column to get it on the right side of the Name field. Any field that would span across a pane being a multiple pane field or a field split across the end of the current pane to the beginning of the next could be a minor annoyance.

I'm not sure what you mean. Columns cannot span across multiple panels. They're confined to a single panel, which will scroll if the columns are wider than the panel.

The filename is wider than the window pane (panel) and if I right click on the Name column the new column is always added on the left side of the Name column. I have to scroll to the right one panel and then right click on the Name (filename) header in the 2nd pane (panel) to be able to add a column to the right side of the Name (filename) column. The Name (filename) column is almost 3 panels wide.

That fits with what I said. When using the default Column Header context menu, the column is added in the position nearest where you right clicked.

I don't get how that's is? If I want to insert to the right I have to scroll one panel to the right and then right click somewhere towards the right side. On the first panel you can only insert to the left of the column. On the second panel depending where you click you can get an insert on both sides and on the 3rd panel you can only get an insert to the right of the column. What if it was 4 panels wide? Would the 2 middle panels insert to either side? I don't think so. My guess would be the first 2 panels would insert to the left and the last 2 would insert to the right.

I'm thinking that i really don't want to have to scroll to have to insert to the one or the other sides depending where I might be in the field. I certainly don't want to have to figure out how many panels a column might takeup to figure out where I need to click. I think it might be nicer to insert to either side of the column based on 50% of the column showing on the current panel regardless of the length of the field.

Rephrased. On an X-panel column it shouldn't matter if i'm on pane x, pane x + 1 or pane x + 2 of that column siimply going to the left-side or right-side regardless of the location of the scroll would determine where the inserted column would go. I think you think that's what's happening but it's not.