Adding Play in Directory Opus to right click menu- mp3 files

Hello,

Is there a way to add 'Play in Directory Opus' or 'Play Sounds' to the right click menu for mp3 files? 'Play Sounds' only comes up for mp3s when I click the File Menu but not when I right click on the file.

When I right click on a .wav file, however, the option 'Play in Directory Opus' does come up.

How can I get it to work for mp3 files?

Thanks.

You need to tweak the file type setting for .mp3 files. To do so, goto the menu command of SETTINGS/FILE TYPES and in the SYSTEM FILE TYPES section, look for the MP3 file extension. Select it, and press the EDIT button in the lower right hand corner of the dialog. On the next popup dialog box, select the CONTEXT MENU command, and then add or change the entry for PLAY so it looks like the one below:

Actually it can even be easier than that. In the same context menu configuration, simply add a new entry that's configured like this:

Thanks John, option number 2 worked like a charm! One problem I still have is that I have two 'play' commands in both the File Menu and the right click menu (this is in addition to the single 'Play in DOpus' command that I already added). I checked through the File Types --> Context Menu and Settings --> Customize --> Lister Context and can't find another 'play' command that I may have added by mistake. Both these other two instances start the mp3 in Windows Media Player. These two extra 'play' commands also show up in the right click and File Menus for .wav and .wma files.

Is there a way of removing the extra 'play' command I don't need? This extra command does not show up in Windows Explorer only Directory Opus.

Thanks.

I assume you only see the one PLAY command you added in the MP3 file type context menu section? If so, try going back into file types again but this time look in the FILE TYPE GROUPS section for music. Check to see what's on the context menu tab for that as your extra play entries could be there. If so, just delete what you don't want.

I don't think the extra play commands should be in the CUSTOMIZE/CONTEXT MENU section for IMHO those context menus are for more general commands rather than commands for certain specific file types.

Anyone know how to get Windows Media Player 10 to play a file from the command line?

"c:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe"

It only works you give it the full path to the file you want to play; giving just a filename or a relative path doesn't work, because Windows Media Player is crap. :slight_smile:

Thanks Leo. I wasn't passing the full path , I should know better! :angry:

Yet another example of when it is better to be verbose :slight_smile:

I'll drink to that one.

[quote="jon"]Yet another example of when it is better to be verbose :slight_smile:[/quote]And I'll drink to THIS one... LOL... (inside joke).

@ckent... how you getting on with this anyhow? There are a few areas that the 'other' play command could be coming from. It's a good idea to ask also - what does this 'other' play command actually do? Does it in fact run the Opus 'player'?

Also... a personal pet peev recommendation... as I install different apps that might like to 'take over' certain file types (I'm often evaluating various media players just to see how they work, or other archive utilties, ISO apps, etc etc) I suggest adding commands to a user defined file type "group" or using an existing Opus file type group as hinted at by JohnZ. The reason is that Opus follows 'normal' windows file type association conventions and puts the commands you add to a particular file type in a reg key that the file extension "points" to. What this means is if you currently have say... Windows Media player registered to handle MP3 files... the .mp3 extension "points" to something like "Windows Media Audio file" underneath which is where Opus would actually insert it's "play" command you've added. If you then come along and install say... Winamp... the file description would be changed to something like "Winamp Media File" or something... and your opus 'play' command would still be sitting under the old Windows Media description - and never be called when you click RMB on such files :frowning:.