All internal commands on menus

Dear friends,

I'm looking for some advanced custom menus for my DOpus, nicely layed out and organized that will include virtually all internal commands capable on the menus.

Is there one that I can download and apply? While DOpus is feature-packed I find the default menus very basic. I know I can edit them but I was wandering if someone has already done that for us.

As an extension of the above, it is also possible to have icons shown on menu items and how? Which option is that if possible?

Thank you for your time.

You can add icons to the menus by editing them in Customize mode. See the Toolbar editing video tutorial which I think has an example.

The Toolbars forum is your best bet to find additional toolbars and buttons. Nobody has made a set with everything on since that would probably have thousands of commands and be as complex to use as the button editor itself, which lets you make any of the commands.

I should be nice to have a configuration option to activate/deactivate icons on menus instead of doing that one by one. Anyway, it's possible at least.

As for menu items, if organized and categorized the complexity can be reduced. I'll have a look at your suggested forum section.

Thank you very much for your reply.

It actually gets way better than you thought. Here you go:

The default menus which ship with Opus don't have any icons defined for their items so changing the Image State setting for them doesn't help.

I raised this a while ago and GPSoftware gave me a way to submit a new default menu which does have icons on it, but I'm afraid I haven't gotten around to doing so yet.

That was what I was looking for. Great thanks!

[quote="leo"]The default menus which ship with Opus don't have any icons defined for their items so changing the Image State setting for them doesn't help.

I raised this a while ago and GPSoftware gave me a way to submit a new default menu which does have icons on it, but I'm afraid I haven't gotten around to doing so yet.[/quote]

I will be waiting for this! :wink:

Actually can you please point me to some custom menus to import?

As a general comment I have to mention the following. DOpus is a very powerful tool. It's power though looks hidden with the present menus. I've read some comments around about DOpus that say it's just a toy for customizing. While it is very customizable it's an understatement to say that DOpus is a toy for just this task.

It has very powerful file managing features but initially look "hidden". I personally believe that some work should be done in this area. Take a look on some rivals for example: Altap Salamander, Total Commander, xplorer2. Look how many file managing options are available on xplorer2 menus. Whatever you want to do with your files is there.

DOpus has many entries on the File menu that should be spreaded on more menus under some categories.

In addition to other internal commands I believe that some of the following menu categories with the corresponding commands should be added and organised:

Mark/Select
Handling
Clipboard
Commands
Networking

That will make DOpus look more powerful and not just a toy of configuration for some users, more complete and finally more organised and easy to find the action you are looking to perform. It will attract even more users from the trial version as DOpus power will instantly be there in front of you to use.

That's what the Toolbars and Tutorials forums are for.

Not looking for a tutorial here. I'm looking for the work of an experienced user who probably has already done that.

Forum search results are not always useful. The proper term is not always used in subject or main body, the search result can be lots of pages etc. I'm new to DOpus and I don't know even to proper term to use for this. Typing "menus" and pointing to the toolbars forum section does not return the subject herein. You have suggested this before and I could find what I'm asking so I'm asking for a more direct link to a thread if you can please.

This: resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... ight=menus
is a nice work from you for example but it's for context menus and I was wondering if there is something for the main menus.

Thank you in advance.

Some of the tutorials contain buttons made by experienced Opus users.

You don't have to search the Buttons or Tutorial forums. Just look through them. There aren't that many posts.

For the 3rd time I'm not looking for buttons but for menus. I hope my English are not that bad! :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

You are right. Just two pages. When through them one-by-one. There is no custom version of the main menus.

buttons and menus are basically the same thing in DOpus. if you read through the manual, you will realize that what you are asking for is very easy to do.

just enter customize mode, right-click on your menu bar, and choose 'new menu'. then on the customize screen, click the 'commands' tab, and drag whatever commands you want into your new menu. or, just drag them from the present menu into your custom menu. you can also drag buttons into menus, and vice versa, since menu items are the same as buttons...

Yes I know that. Apparently it's so easy that nobody took the time to share his work for menus. (too sarcastic :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: )

Anyway, since it looks what I'm asking is not present in this forum I will have to do it myself.

Thanks.

i think the reason nobody shares their menus is because the point of an app like DOpus is to let the end user set it up to fit his/her specific needs. the way i have my menus customized works for me, but chances are, it won't be suitable for you. for example, i have no Clipboard menu as you suggested, because i use an external clipboard manager. the only DOpus clipboard functions i use frequantly involve copying names/paths, and i put these commands in my file/folder context menu. also Networking - i don't use this at all, so i have no menu - again, my setup would not be suitable for you...

you might argue against this philosophy, suggesting that an 'average user' will want all functions immediately available 'out of the box'. but i in turn suggest that the 'average user' doesn't even know what a file manager is, and certainly won't pay 85 AUD for one :slight_smile:

Your points are right. I was just wandering if something existed.

Don't worry I will follow the "hard" way. DOpus makes it so easy for us anyway.

I will share my approach here but it will take some time since I have too much work right now and no vacations planned! :frowning:

Here's my first attempt:

drivehq.com/file/DF.aspx/Opu ... nload=true

I hope I have exported correctly.

There might be some errors like duplicates, shortcut keys, icons etc.

I leave the corrections to the pros here since I'm novice. Moving arround entries and reorganizing is allowed! :wink:

Some menus leading to submenus have a down-arrow instead of a right. I don't know how to modify this.

Anyway, this was my idea of full and pretty menus that can be adapted to a default configuration to unleash full potentiality of DOpus immediately to new users and "unhide" internal commands.

As it can be overloaded for some I suggest to have an option in DOpus to select complexity level for menus.

Thank you.

I get an error trying to download the file but, from the .ocb extension, it looks like a full config backup. It's better just to grab the .dop toolbar files out of /dopusdata/Buttons (type that into Opus and it'll take you to the correct settings folder). Also, backups may include your FTP passwords if they're part of your configuration.

You can attach files to the forum rather than using hosting services, if you want. If the forum complains about an extension just zip the file up.

Menu items with a down-arrow on the right are Menu-Buttons. That is where clicking the main part of the item runs an action and clicking the button opens a sub-menu. (The Back and Forward buttons are classic examples.)

If you want a normal sub-menu item instead, create a Menu rather than a Menu-Button. (Either by dragging one out of the New category in the Customize window, or by right-clicking the toolbar while in Customize mode and using the New context menu.)

You could also create extra Opus toolbars for categories of (complex) commands that can be toggled on and off by buttons on the main toolbar ...

Didn't know that! And your trick to the direct file.

Here it is then. I hope I grabbed the correct one.
ListerMenu.zip (6.95 KB)