Amazon S3 Plugin

Is anyone developing a plugin for managing S3 storage at Amazon? And if not, how interested are people in this capability? I may start work on a plugin for this unless someone is already underway with one.

Thanks,

=Perry

I don't think anyone is working on one so far.

Go for it! Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the SDK.

Is there any progress to support S3 with DOpus? Support for both US and EU buckets would be great.

Greetings,

kroxx

Agreed! Where in the world is the support for Amazon S3 in Directory Opus? Honestly, this the first time I'm considering ditching the app for something else. Amazon S3 is a HUGE part of my storage needs.

[quote="kroxx"]Is there any progress to support S3 with DOpus? Support for both US and EU buckets would be great.

Greetings,

kroxx[/quote]

I would be very cautious about making these kinds of threats/promises. I don't know whether people really appreciate this...

GPSoftware are at least making available the SDK and Jon is even suggesting that some sort of support will be given in development. Feel free to make use of the possibilities.

Good luck and stick with Opus... :wink:

And what about this feature ? I'm interesting about it too, because i use Amazon S3 for storage. :slight_smile:

Interested here too. Currently I use Gladinet and I have just downloaded cyberduck. But native support would be great.

Very interested too.
Opus user for four years, S3 for three.
At the moment juggling S3 / CloudFront uploads and management with JungleDisk (for easy sync / backup), S3Fox (for quick view), AWS (for bucket policies) and Cloudberry (to set http headers for caching)... A bit much, no?

Opus has become so awesome at FTP and archives... From here, S3 makes a lot of sense.

Wishing you all a fun day. :smiley:

We'd still be more than happy to provide support, advice (via email, IRC, WLMessenger or Skype), free Opus licences (if needed), sample plugin code and even plugin API changes/improvements (as needed and within reason) for anyone who wants to write this or any other useful Opus plugin.

(We don't have the time or experience with Amazon S3 to write it ourselves anytime soon, unfortunately.)

I'm not quite sure whether it could help anyone, anyway...
Free of charge (at time of writing this post) a source of dev information about Amazon Simple Storage Service.

amazon.com/dp/B007Q4VYDK/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

I'd be interested in a plugin to browse Amazon S3 Servers!

Ideally would love this to be built-in.

I wanted to update my post by saying I am no longer interested in an S3 plugin for Opus.
It may sound strange, so here's why.

Over time, I have used a variety of S3 software. For encrypted backups, I still use JungleDisk. To upload files for CDN hosting (CloudFront), I've used CloudBerry, S3Fox, Bucket Explorer, and now S3 Browser. Until recently, I had problems in this category of software. In particular, it's really important to me that I be able to set and change the http headers of the files so that they have the right cache-control durations.

I've been using S3 Browser for a few months now, and it solves the problems I had:

• I drag and drop from Opus.
  • multi-threaded uploads (very fast to upload hundreds of small files, compared to one-by-one FTP-type uploads).
  • easy to set and update the headers.

Given that even S3Fox, which is a popular Firefox add-on, doesn't let you change http headers, my feeling is that it might be challenging for an Opus S3 plug-in to support the features that matter to me (and other features that may matter to other users), and then to keep in pace with service changes made by Amazon. Whereas a dedicated tool can focus on that job and do it well---and work well with Opus.

So I'm officially withdrawing my "me too" wish post for an S3 plug-in.

I guess it's similar to what must happen in a number of software categories---the development team probably has to decide where Opus stops and someone else's software starts. For instance, for me the picture viewer has exactly the features I want. For more, I hit Ctrl + Shift + H (custom shortcut) to open the image in Photoshop.

Wishing you all a fun weekend.

Thanks for that feedback, I came here looking for an S3 plugin and contemplating joining an effort to write one, but you make some very good arguments against doing such a thing. I'll sleep some more on it.

I am curious though, could you share some ways in which you feel your current workflow with S3 Browser could improve? Are there things you wish DOpus would be able to do or do differently that would improve the combined use with your S3 weapon of choice?

I'll give S3 Browser (Portable edition) another go myself and see if I agree with your assessment. My primary use cases require that the whole solution is portable, which is one of the reasons why I liked the idea of an integrated solution in DOpus.

No, I'm happy with how it works.
I have a password set on S3 browser so that the keys are encrypted.

Also using Syncovery for actual backup tasks to S3 or B2.