Pro and Lite version

Hi,

First thing - thanks for a great product that I use all the time. I have recently completely reinstalled my OS (Win 7) and as part of this downloaded the latest version of directory opus (10). This installed a trial and then I registered sucessfully with my registration key. Out of curiosity I thought that I would swith over to the lite version (to see if performance for common tasks was better) and the program duly restarted in lite mode (Im assuming). After a while I started to miss the professional features and so I started to look around for a switch so that I could revert to the professional version. I cans seem to find any way of getting back to the professional version.. Am I missing something? Has functionality actually been degraded by selecting the lite version or were the menu options and taskbars simply hidden? If I have registered the pro version can I switch between the two versions once registered? Any help much appreciated. Regards, Geoff.

While using the stock evaluation licence, you can switch between Light and Pro via the button in Help -> Licence Manager.

Once you install a Pro registration key you can no longer switch to Light; you will always be in Pro mode then.

Are you sure you're really in Light mode now? What does the Help -> About dialog say?

Leo

I think you are right - the about screen shows Pro - I think what has happened is that quite a lot of the tool-bars were suppressed by the switch to lite that were not restored when I entered the pro license. I'm digging through now and I'm pretty sure this is the pro version! Sorry to have wasted your time. By the way - is there any plan to support some of the cloud services - FTP is always useful, but most people are widely using cloud storage as archive (or even live) drives. It would be a very cool addition if we could access Dropbox, Skydrive, Amazon S3 etc from the desktop. Just a thought! Regards, Geoff.

DropBox should work already via DropBox's own software.

I don't know much about SkyDrive or Amazon S3 beyond the basics.

We have a plugin API which would let anyone interested enough in those things write the support themselves, and we'd be happy to provide help to anyone who wanted to do so.

It's not something we are looking at ourselves, at least at this time, since it would require a lot of time & effort for each individual service, and there is no clear winner right now. We'd either spend a huge amount of time trying to support them all, or only please a tiny handful of people, neither of which seem worth it to us at this time.

(BTW, for unrelated questions, please start a new thread to help people looking for similar answers. Or continue an existing one if there is one (e.g. here or here.)

I know, I know, riding on a message that has strayed from the original, but talk of cloud services is close to my heart as I try to grapple with a bunch of different ones that all work in slightly different ways.

It is true that there is no clear winner. With Google, Microsoft, Amazon and non trivial businesses like BoxNet to negotiate, life gets hairy, especially when you throw in working with Android devices.

It would be wonderful if DOpus handled this. (I suspect that as time passes it will become evident to GP Software that clouds need supporting.) In the meantime, one way to aggregate some of them is with Gladinet Cloud Desktop.

It handles several of the services I listed.

If the cloud vendors got their acts together and implemented a common/standard API, it would help.

Until then, there is no cloud; there are multiple different, fragmented clouds.