Another regular expression - rename query

I would like to know whether it is possible to rename/use a regular expression to deal with the following:

1. I have a number of files named such as follows:

one two three - four five six - (seven eighth nine) - aaa bbb ccc ddd.pdf
12 13 14 - 15 16 17 - eee fff ggg hhh.pdf
four five six - one two three - (four five six) - nine ten eleven - eee fff aaa.pdf

1. I would to remove all the words or numbers etc up to the final " - " in each filename.

2. There is no regularity to what precedes the final " - " and can be a mixture of words, figures and other symbols and there can be several " - " in a final name but it is always up to the final one that I wish to remove.

Is this possible with Dopus?

Old name: (.) - (.).(.*)
New name: \2.\3
Type: Regular Expression

As you are struggling up the learning curve that is Regex, I suggest that you read this message.

It may not deal with the particular issue you mention here, but it does offer generic advice on how to try things out.

In time, you will be in a position to roll your own rename expressions rather than relying on the fine one-at-a-time support that you usually get here.

If MrC doesn't mind, I'd like to put that message in the "rename scripting" section so that is there for future reference.

Thanks. If you want, and Leo had suggested this to me earlier, I can place a copy of the post there, and I can update, generalize it.

That would be really good. It is so useful as a basic tool that it deserves to be saved for posterity. Putting it there might also prompt people to add their own tips along the same lines.

It is great to have the instant solutions that crop up here, but because they don't explain what they are doing they don't encourage people to learn how to write their own expressions.