Any chance to buy a license using Bitcoin?

Will check that one, too. Whichever is the least intrusive, will win.

Perhaps inverting the problem may be a solution.
Try to work out a private deal with GPsoft.
Maybe they are reasonable enough to accept a postal transaction of Euro currency?

No doubt the currency conversion fees in Australia are less than the 45 Euro ridiculous fee you are encountering.

Privacy is hence ensured.

2 Likes

Yes, that's another option i have considered. But a little risky one, too. :thinking:

So maybe accept a fact that extra privacy costs a bit and pay this 42% more. Crypto now is an outright speculative scam with beautiful facade to lure move people to bring in money.

1 Like

Thanks Xyzzy, that's what i most likely will do. Not much of a too big deal for one time, but i worry about the incremental updates, which may come in much shorter periods of time. Hopefully, we will have some local dealer soon.

finding a dealer for germany is a difficult task.
in the private search for a replacement for Haage&Partner, there are actually only a few dealers left who could do this!
only one seems to fulfill the desired parameters at the moment.
all the others are rather untrustworthy.

The rest of the world finds it very strange that the economic power house of Europe doesn't know about Visa debit cards :smiley:

2 Likes

See:
The 10 Best International Money Transfer Companies, Ranked By Monito Score

Remitly looks best for Germany to Australia transfers according to my limited research

HTH

1 Like

It's not so much a lack of knowledge, it's more an abundance of paranoia :wink:

1 Like

I like your subtly irony. :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually, things that were supposed to make things easier went the other way. Anyway, i won't miss the upgrade. :+1:

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you. :wink: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thanks, still researching the best way possible.

Granted that I don't know much about any of this, but I find it astounding that one would absolutely refuse to use a credit card, but be willing to jump on the bitcoin bandwagon or any of several other services that I never heard of.

I accept that credit cards have some risk, but these other things are trusted???

Looks like i only have a bank card, which is different from a regular credit card. If my bank could issue me some real credit card, no problem. But wouldn't they had suggested it when i spoke to them on the phone? It's only a savings bank, maybe they don't have regular credit cards, like VISA oder Barclays. I'd rather avoid opening another bank account, that's why. So either i deal with the extra fee, or i would check one of the other transfer options.

I know that it is different in Europe, and Germany is still working on reunification.
Visa is not the normal thing there.

Just per chance, could this work or not ?
[Unsere Visa Debitkarten | Tomorrow]
It may not ensure the privacy you are comfortable with though.
Good Luck !

Yeah, the privacy issue...

The last time I paid for an Opus license, it didn't take long before this couple appeared on my doorstep: "Good evening! We are from XYZ Commander. Do you have a minute to talk about file management?"

Annoying? Certainly.

But not a problem the trusty 8-gauge couldn't quickly solve.

So... I am still fine with card payments.

4 Likes

How many hours did you guys spent learning about Bitcoin? Close to 0, is that correct? o)

The research I did suggests, that the network is the real deal - you cannot rely on third party information here.
I've spent XXX number of hours consuming Bitcoin technicals, trying Wallets, Lightning network and things. I think it's legit.

I'd also like to differentiate the "scam" thing a bit here:
If a crypto exchange gets hacked, it's not to blame on Bitcoin. It's a bank robbery, where the bank is to blame. You are not supposed to have Bitcoin laying around on a bank / exchange (for that "robbery" reason) - Bitcoin is meant to be kept by you.

Whenever the news tell you about the Bitcoin scam at FTX, Mt.Gox etc. - it's not. It's a fail of the bank or the official institutions meant to survey, control and watch what the bank / crypto exchange is doing with customer money (they also failed at Wireguard, Lehman etc.).

Bitcoin never got hacked.

I encourage you to correct me or bring up any real scam where Bitcoin is to blame.

Thank you! o)

Yes, I admit that's correct.

Bitcoin itself is a speculative scam. Not technology behind it.

1 Like

The charges for using Bitcoin at the moment will make your bank charges seem reasonable! It currently costs the equivalent of €16 to send €4 worth of BTC to someone (as in from one Bitcoin wallet to another, you will pay €20 worth of BTC and the other end will only get €4 of BTC).

This is not how a sane replacement for banking or cash could ever work.

2 Likes