Any chance to buy a license using Bitcoin?

Looking forward to purchase the new version, once it is officially out. But the bank fee, which is as high as 42% of Opus' price, is just brazen. I know it's not available atm in the payment options, but maybe considered for the future?

So you are worried about getting PayPal or a credit card but a crypto wallet is ok?

1 Like

PayPal wants to much data. I never had a credit card, and i don't plan to. But i have a friend, who has a crypto wallet. Given, that (if i got it right) GP plans to have a shorter release cycle, having a plus 40% everytime i buy, is an issue. So i am looking for an option to save money, yes.

What does "too much data" mean to you? GPsoftware also wants your full address including your telephone number.

1 Like

I trust GPSoft. :slightly_smiling_face:

No, seriously, i don't like what i have read about PayPal. I have to grant them the right to debit from my bank account, which is bad, and have to allow them selling my data to third party companies.

1 Like

I think Pa*pal is some kind of "man in the middle attack" between buyer and seller. o)

It's a service nobody actually needs, since it only offers what your bank should offer already.
As a seller you also lose around 2% of the amount of money sent to you, it's a rip off.

I mean you already have fees for the bank account and taxes for both sides and inflation on top, why throw even more money out of the window? So, yes.. go Bitcoin, it seems to fix some of the problems at least. o)

3 Likes

Yes, just my opinion. In a time, where we have electronic transactions, it's a shame, that they would charge me a whopping 45 Euro on top of the very fair pricing GP offers.

1 Like

You know crypto companies charge conversion fees as well, right? On top of ruining GPU pricing for two generations and counting and doing a lot of shady stuff.

2 Likes

Yes, i know that. But it still would be a fraction of that 45 bucks, and less hassle. Maybe i'm gonna check your partner in Poland, but i'm afraid, that the bank fee would turn out very similar, even though we're neighbours.

Well, all those retired politicians on your bank's board gotta eat something, right?

1 Like

Sure, lxp. I am just trying to save them from overeating. :wink:

No, really, the bank's fees do not scale very nicely with buying small purchases.

I know! They are insane!

Maybe your friend with a Bitcoin account also has access to a credit card?

1 Like

Unfortunately not. My people are all preferring cash business. And yes, myself, i am using online banking, but only within my country, where there is only a monthly fixed charge. I guess, i have to pay that amount for this time, but i worry a bit about the future updates, where i suppose that the same fee would mean something like the double price. :thinking:

Thanks for your input, guys, i just wanted to comment on that.

You shouldn't need a credit card, just a normal debit card, where no bank I've ever encountered charges fees like that. Haven't lived in Germany so maybe the banks there work differently?

Well, the "Sparkasse" didnt come up with a promising alternative. Seems like that outdated SWIFT system is behind that horrendous surcharge, at least partly. And also the transfer duration of about one week is plain ridiculous in the time of electronic communications. Anyway, i will ask the bank, if they have some special offer, although i don't really want to open a second bank account, for it's not even sure, if it would be significantly cheaper.

Yes, a debit card is enough. It's becoming the standard card anyway, the Maestro system is on its way out. Often the debit card is free and people who insist on Maestro are charged extra.

Some clarifications.. o)

• A proper open source Bitcoin wallet will not charge fees for itself or for any specific company.

• There are transaction fees for Bitcoin yes, but they are spread randomly to whatever miner did the transaction / block creation.

• GPU pricing is not Bitcoins fault, since Bitcoin is mined with ASICs for many years now.

• Receiving Bitcoin is absolutely free and a matter of minutes, by installing a wallet, then telling somebody the BTC address to pay to.

• If you want automation and eCommerce integration, go for this.. o)

Ok, i'm gonna check that. By the way, when i had called the bank to ask, they first told me it would be only 20€. Which would have been ok with me. I then happily filled out the transfer form, and surprisingly, it showed me, it would be 45€. So not even the bank clerks had a clue, what the actual cost would be. And as i did some further research, 30€ of that sum is credited as some 'special fee', which is described as some strange tax for firms. So i called the bank again, explaining, that i don't run any firm. Nevertheless, they couldn't provide a way to circumvent that ominous extra cost.

I've setup crypto gateways for eCommerce websites and transaction fees for Crypto are 1-2%. There's also the network fee paid by the customer, which varies based on the Crypto. Litecoin for example is a fraction of a US penny. Bitcoin lightning also has very low network fees as well. Conversion fees are included in the 1-2% transaction fee and most crypto gateways will automatically convert crypto to fiat so there's no exposure to crypto market volatility. Coinbase commerce used to have no transaction fee and only charged to convert currencies but now they just charge 1% on all transactions with free conversions. I really wouldn't recommend Coinbase commerce TBH, one of the worst crypto gateways. For other crypto payment gateways the only time conversion fees will be separate is if you don't have the automatic currency conversion setup (which pretty much all of them support).

For companies selling digital goods internationally a crypto gateway can be a great supplement to existing payment options. I can definitely understand the trepidation of adding Crypto as a payment option though because you have to be aware of how crypto payments work. For example, if a customer asks for a refund, often refunding crypto is not simple. You'd have to ensure that the payment has actually been confirmed on the block-chain and that you have a return address to send the money back to. There's also the matter of who pays the network fee to return the money. This requires changes to the payment TOS. In addition different crypto's have different confirmation times, which is the time it takes for the transaction to complete. Bitcoin lightning for example is as fast as regular card transactions while Bitcoin can be very slow. There are even instances where it can take up to 2 weeks for a bitcoin transaction to clear if the customer cheaps out on the network fee. Then there's also overpayments and underpayments as some people tend to make the mistake of sending a fiat currency amount instead of a crypto amount or they take too long to send the crypto and thus the amount they sent no longer matches the amount requested.

It's kind of a whole new world in terms of payment gateways so you'd definitely want to consult with someone that has experience implementing them specifically.

1 Like

Have a look at https://wise.com/

2 Likes