GP SoftwareTwitter
Opus FAQsManualCommandsObjects

Apply GPS coordinates to image files

Here is a script button that will apply GPS coordinates copied from Google Maps to the selected image files.

Subscribe topic to be notified of update.

How to use

[ul]
[li]Go to Google Map[/li]
[li]Right click on the desired location and select "More info about this place"[/li]
[li]At the bottom of the map, there will display coordinates link like "40.274721, -92.445195"[/li]
[li]Click on it[/li]
[li]The coordinates will display into the search input on the left. Copy them.[/li]
[li]In DOpus, select image files you want coordinates to apply to. (If you select all files in a tab, the script will automatically run on image files only)[/li]
[li]Click on the button provided here and the GPS metadata will be applied[/li]
[li]If the clipboard doesn't contain any supported GPS coordinates format, you'll be prompted to paste the coordinates.[/li][/ul]

How to install button

Download the desired button version and drag & drop it in a Dopus toolbar in customize mode.

Here is the english version:
ADD Google Maps GPS data [ENG].dcf (24 KB)

Here is the french version of the button:
ADD Google Maps GPS data [FRA].dcf (24.1 KB)

History

v2016.11.06
Fix : "42.018396,-105.234445" format was processed as invalid because the script expected there was a space after the comma such as "42.018396, -105.234445"

v2016.09.16
Fix : If among the selected files there were other file types, the script couldn't apply metadata to the image files
Change: No filter is required anymore. Valid files are automatically handled by the script.

v2016.09.13
Smart behavior: if the clipboard contains valid GPS (like "40.274721, -92.445195"), clicking the button will directly apply them to the selected image files else user will be prompted to enter coordinates.

v2016.09.12
First release: The button prompts user to enter GPS data.

Note that you can use the built-in metadata editor to set GPS coordinates:

Use this script instead if you want to click a button and be prompted for the coordinates, instead of using the metadata editor. If you are setting lots of GPS coords from scratch, and not editing other fields, then the script may give you a more streamlined workflow for that task.

Thanks fred! o)

I'm not into coordinates within my pictures yet, but while reading your post and code carefully, I thought it might make little sense to bring up the requester for the coordinates in every case. You could look into the clipboard first, parse, trim and shape the content, if valid go on and only if the clip content cannot be used bring up the requester. I assume this would result in a better experience if you deal with lot of files, since the paste and confirm steps are left out.

Yes I agree. I'm working on it. But I face a "bug" that I don't understand. See details here… if you have a hint. I posted a version there that read the CP instead of prompting. I'll add the automatic choice as you suggest later. I really hope some help on that bug because I don't understand why it won't work in some case while I check until the end that the script should work the same in any case.

Update

v2016.09.13
Smart behavior: if the clipboard contains valid GPS (like "40.274721, -92.445195"), clicking the button will directly apply them to the selected image files else user will be prompted to enter coordinates.

Update

v2016.11.06
Fix : "42.018396,-105.234445" format was processed as invalid because the script expected there was a space after the comma such as "42.018396, -105.234445"

Nice! Makes it easy to go directly from decimal degrees. I've been checking it out working directly from caltopo.com too, which means I can be looking at and working from forest service or other maps too. Also makes it easier to enter coords into Flickr's ORGANIZE.

1 Like