Automatically created list/view of recently opened PDFs (and maybe other file formats)?

(I'm new to Directory Opus and am still trying to wrap my head around the seemingly endless and often difficult to setup possibilities. I've searched for this topic before but couldn't find anything, I hope it's ok to ask about it here.)

I would like a view that lists all PDFs I ever opened in order of when they were last opened. So this view would need a column for "date/time last opened". (It would be even better if this view also listed every pdf existing on my computer, even those that weren't opened yet.) I want the views to also show thumbnails of the pdfs, be able to navigate to the actual location of a file with some kind of right click "open file location" and be able to directly delete files from the view.

Having this for the PDF file format would be most useful to me, but it would also be great to have this kind of view for different file formats, like docx, xlsx and such. For some file formats it might be useful to combine different file formats in one view, like docx and odt.

Is this something that is possible to configure in Directory Opus?

1 Like

You might be able to go to the /recent folder/alias and filter on *.pdf, but whether a file is there or not will depend on how the software opening it works.

Windows doesn't (reliably*) track the last time a file was opened, so what you're aiming for probably isn't possible in general.

(* Files have an Accessed timestamp, but it's essentially useless and a leftover from older OS.)

Thanks for your reply. Can I configure your suggestion as some kind of view (that shows /recent and is already filtered to pdf) that can be opened from the folder tree, (eg. under Favorites)?

In general, isn't this a feature that has been considered to be added in Directory Opus yet? I imagine it would be useful for many users. I think there are some tools that work with the Windows recent files view, like NirSoft RecentFilesView... So I thought it would be possible to access the recent files logged by Windows and therefore it would be possible to save a timestamp everytime the Windows recent files log changes...?

A toolbar button or hotkey which goes to the folder and applies the filter would be easy enough to set up.

Having it in the folder tree is possible but only if you configure that folder to always be filtered in that way, which you may not want (unless PDF files are the only thing you ever want to see in Recent without clicking to clear the filter).

Have you checked that the Recent list contains the things you need? Not all programs add files to it when you open them.

Yes, the PDFs are listed in recent and even show thumbnails. (I'm using Sumatra PDF.)

I tried to set up the button but didn't find an option for filtering or changing the view in button configuration yet. :frowning:

If you want it on a button, it would be like this:

Go /recent
Set QUICKFILTER=*.pdf

You might also want to turn on Preferences / File Displays / FAYT and Filter Bar Options / Clear Quick filter automatically when changing folders so the *.pdf filter doesn't persist when you go to a different folder in the same tab.

dopus
Like this? It goes to recent, but doesn't filter. :thinking:

Change the *.pdf to *.pdf.lnk

I forgot the Recent folder is full of shortcuts with hidden .lnk extensions, not the actual files.

No, it doesn't work. If I try to open the quickfilter field by pressing * in recent, it doesn't open. If I open and define a quickfilter in another folder, then navigate to recent, the defined filter is greyed out and it displays "Filtering is not available in this folder."

So is not being able to use Quickfilter in the RecentFiles folder a restriction caused by Windows or by Directory Opus?
If I would find a way to monitor the recent files folder and copy the content to another folder (as well as monitoring additional folders that contain files not showing up in RecentFiles), then I could use that other folder to get what I want in Directory Opus, right?

Is it possible to have it like this in the folder tree?

Favorites

• Recent files [Show Recent files unfiltered and "clears the filters"]
  • PDF files [filtered for this file format]
  • Documents [filtered for these file formats]
  • Spreadsheets [filtered for these file formats]

Select Preferences / Folders / Virtual Folders / Treat all virtual folders as real and it should let you filter in the Recent folder.

(Or select the option below that and add the Recent folder to the list.)

Thanks, the button works now.

I'd like the view of the folder to change as well. (Thumbnail view with a size of 256 px)
It would be best if it change when clicking the button, because it would be useful to have different views depending on the files format I'm filtering for.

So far I've only been able to change it to thumbnail view via folder options, but it didn't save the pixel size (and of course that would be one shared setting for all file formats). :frowning:

Turn on thumbnail mode with Set VIEW=thumbnails, set the thumbnail size with Show THUMBNAILSIZE.

All details here:

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Set.htm

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Show.htm

1 Like

Thanks, that's very helpful. I've been struggling to find and work with specific commands in the help, even though I've found information on settings easily in there.

In case someone else wants to use a button like this, I'm posting the final button command here:

Go /recent
Set QUICKFILTER=*.(pdf|epub|mobi|azw|djv|djvu).lnk
Set VIEW=thumbnails
Show THUMBNAILSIZE 256
2 Likes

I have taken this a step further and made a toggle button that returns DOPUS to the user's preferred layout after they have finished with the /recent view.

You might also want to turn on Preferences / File Displays / FAYT and Filter Bar Options / Clear Quick filter automatically when changing folders so the *.pdf filter doesn't persist when you go to a different folder in the same tab.

Select Preferences / Folders / Virtual Folders / Treat all virtual folders as real and it should let you filter in the Recent folder.

(Or select the option below that and add the Recent folder to the list.)

Furthermore, ensure that you have set Windows Explorer to show extensions (in the View Menu). Otherwise, the button will not find the links based on their file extension.

Change the code to select you particular need. This button code adds |docx to pick up Word documents.

@toggle:if $glob:MyToggle
@ifset:$glob:MyToggle
Prefs LAYOUT="My Lister"
@set glob:MyToggle
@ifset:else
Go /recent
Set QUICKFILTER=*.(pdf|epub|mobi|azw|djv|djvu|docx).lnk
Set VIEW=thumbnails
Show THUMBNAILSIZE 256
@set glob:MyToggle=1
1 Like

Recent.dcf (791 Bytes)

Right-click on a space in a toolbar and select Customize, then drag this button file to a position of your choice.

Thanks for your variation of the button and good to see others find this idea to be useful.

I'm not sure I want this as a view that is toggled on/off, but certainly good for others who are interested to have an alternative.
I tried out your button nonetheless, but it only worked after I manually created a layout called "My lister" and it doesn't return to it either but opens it in a new window. Do you have an additional setting that prevents that?

Notice the ticked box.

I have developed this button further. It now is a 3 Button with the left mouse button toggling back to your default layout and the right mouse button saving and toggling back to your current view. The middle button will allow you to name and save the current layout. I will post it later with instructions.

I have adapted the information found on the following website and used this for years. It is worth working through this guide as it expanded my knowledge of DOPUS:

Directory Opus (dearopus.com)

I will upload the revised button after work (Australian Eastern Time)

Introduction

I have developed this button to improve its efficiency and flexibility. The exercise has forced me to expand my skills using DOPUS' extensive capabilities. It has been rewarding to get things to work. I will describe how I created it and the internal commands I have used to help others realise that they can shape DOPUS to their needs and preferences.

I am not a programmer and welcome comments or pointers to improve on what I have produced. Developers and programmers have learnt and practised their skills to the point of taking them for granted and do not need to reiterate the detailed steps and logic behind their work. We all do it. For example, we followed extensive steps and rules when we first learnt to drive. After practice and experience, many of us can drive a car without consciously remembering each step. When we try to teach others to drive, we struggle to relay all the finer steps we take for granted. We all need teachers who can teach us the basic steps, using creative methods to help us step up and confidently drive DOPUS.

Background to the Button
A new DOPUS user, identified as r47926, asked if it was possible to set up DOPUS to show PDF files he had opened and organised from the latest to the earliest order. He specified that he would like to select and view these files as thumbnails, open the files, and delete the files from the view. Furthermore, he realised that the solution might apply to other file formats (e.g. docx, xlsx, odt, etc).

DOPUS developer Leo swiftly offered some suggestions and possible caveats to creating a DOPUS button using internal commands:

Go /recent
Set QUICKFILTER=*.pdf

r47926 engaged with Leo and successfully implemented a DOPUS button. The discussion also alerted users to set preferences:

Preferences / File Displays / FAYT and Filter Bar Options / Clear Quick filter automatically when changing folders so the *.pdf filter doesn't persist when you go to a different folder in the same tab.

Preferences / Folders / Virtual Folders / Treat all virtual folders as real to filter the "Recent Folder".

Furthermore, ensure that you have set Windows Explorer to show extensions (in the View Menu). Otherwise, the button will not find the links based on their file extension.

After 12 days, r47926 sought further help to refine the button. The talented and helpful user, lxp, provided two internal commands and provided links to the DOPUS help file that explained their use:

Set VIEW=thumbnails
Show THUMBNAILSIZE

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Set.htm

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Show.htm

This led r47926 to publish a satisfactory solution:

Go /recent
Set QUICKFILTER=*.(pdf|epub|mobi|azw|djv|djvu).lnk
Set VIEW=thumbnails
Show THUMBNAILSIZE 256

Extending the Button's Functionality.
After using the button, I decided to adapt it to my needs. After looking at other button constructions listed on the forum and reading the help documentation, I developed the original idea and produced another version of the button.

Recent Files Button
This button defines functionality for the mouse's Centre, Left and Right buttons. Left and Right buttons act as toggles (see below).

Centre Button
First, the user should design their preferred DOPUS layout and save it by using the Centre Button of the mouse to click the button. This action opens a "Save Layout: dialogue box, allowing the user to name and save the current layout. Use "My Lister" as the layout name since the button uses this name to open your preferred layout. Users can use any name they like but be sure to change the name in the button code.

Second, the user must define the Lister layout for the Windows "Recent" folder. When complete, save it by using the Centre Button of the mouse to click the button and save as "Recent Files". Select the first box at the bottom of the dialogue to ensure other layouts/listers are closed when this layout is opened. I use the following layout, closing the Folder Tree, opening the Viewer, arranging the layout on the screen, and sorting by the "Modified" column. You can also choose thumbnail view and size from the Lister, but the button will also set this up.

Prefs LAYOUTSAVE

Left Mouse Button
Left-clicking the button uses DOPUS internal commands to open the predefined "Recent Files" Layout displayed as 256px thumbnails and descending from the latest open file. The viewer is opened on the right side of the DOPUS window.

Left-clicking again opens the "My Lister" Layout, returning DOPUS to your preferred layout.

Prefs LAYOUT="My Lister"
Prefs LAYOUT="Recent Files"
Show THUMBNAILSIZE 256

Right Mouse Button
Right-clicking the button uses DOPUS internal commands to save your current lister layout as "StartLayout" and then replaces it with the predefined "Recent Files" Layout.

Left-clicking again opens the "StartLayout" Layout, returning DOPUS to the layout you started with.

Prefs LAYOUT="StartLayout"
Prefs LAYOUTNAME="StartLayout" LAYOUTSAVE
LAYOUTCLOSELISTERS=yes
Prefs LAYOUT="Recent Files"
Show THUMBNAILSIZE 256

Working Button
Recent-PrefL.dcf (2.2 KB)
To install,
Right-click on a space in a DOPUS toolbar and
select Customize. Then,
drag this button file to a position of your choice.

1 Like