[basic] Using find panel

I'm not catching on how to use the find panel... I've used many find tools over the years but am not finding known files with this one.

I've included a screen grab showing the panel setup.

My objective there is to find several file or directory names containing the string `candy'

I know there are three plugins in that adobe directory with `candy' in there names. Other find tools go right to them but somehow, I come up blank using the find panel of Dopus.

What am I doing wrong here:

Try searching for candy instead. If the item doesn´t exactly start with "candy", you will have to use the asterisks.

Using the Simple mode, searching for candy should be the same as candy so it shouldn't be that.

[ol][li]Is there anything (e.g. some spaces) in the Containing Text field that might be messing things up?
[/li]
[li]Can you show a screenshot with one of the files you think should be found?[/li][/ol]

By the way, that is the old Find Window. The newer Find Panel is better: Tools -> Find Panel.

[quote="leo"]Using the Simple mode, searching for candy should be the same as candy so it shouldn't be that.

[ol][li]Is there anything (e.g. some spaces) in the Containing Text field that might be messing things up?
[/quote]

I did test that out before posting and no, there are no spaces or control characters etc.

[quote][/li]
[li]Can you show a screenshot with one of the files you think should be found?[/li][/ol]
[/quote]

Yes... its attached to this post.

By the way a tool called FileLocator I use, finds the files using string `candy' with no problem.
The windows search 4 tool finds the expected files as well.

[quote]
By the way, that is the old Find Window. The newer Find Panel is better: Tools -> Find Panel.[/quote]

Why are there two of them? I used Ctrl-f to get the panel... I've now tried the newer one too, but of course it does no better. Very puzzling

This attachment shows top level (W:\adobe) being searched, with the expected files unfolded for screen shot.
Also another search using `candy' and the negative result.

If you haven't already, check the search path as well. e.g. there might be a space after the W:\adobe.

What if you set the results to go to a collection instead of the Output Window?

Does it happen with other folders? e.g. If you search C:\ for note does it find notepad.exe? (Assuming your Windows install is on C:, of course.)

Other than that, I'm stumped. The screenshot you posted (thanks, BTW!) looks like I'd expect, apart from the lack of find results (unless the Find button hasn't actually been pushed :slight_smile:) and trying a similar search here works fine and finds the expected files.

You could try using Process Monitor to see what Opus is doing when asked to search, but it may be difficult to work out which information is important and which to ignore.

Failing everything, you might need to ask GPSoftware for support to see if they have ideas on how to diagnose the problem.

Historical reasons more than anything else. When the Find Panel was added the old Find Window wasn't removed, I guess in case people preferred it. I think the plan for Opus 10 is to finally remove the Find Window as it really just gets in the way of people finding the better Find Panel.

If you haven't already, check the search path as well. e.g. there might be a space after the W:\adobe.

What if you set the results to go to a collection instead of the Output Window?
[/quote]

Both were checked before posting... no help.

I've been looking into that and I can report that it works as expected on C:. The questionable search is on W:\' which is a remote machine mapped to my desktop. I thought maybe being remote was the problem but Opus searches as expected on P:' which is also remote, mapped to desktop (and on the same remote as W:).

However I can report that NO searches on `W:' work... so it has to be a local problem... but just at a loss as to what it might be. But at least I'm able to search quickly and efficiently everywhere else.

What do you mean by `push the button'?

[Hehe... just kidding]

It has to be something about that drive causing the problem... sooner or later I'll probably see what it is.
Thanks for your input.

Hmm, it is very odd...

If it is only files on the W:\ drive, maybe using Process Monitor would show something useful. If you set Process Monitor's filter to only include paths starting with W:, then tell Opus to begin the search and see what gets reported, it might reveal a useful detail.

Problem seems simple if I am not wrong.

You did not actually ADD the folder to the folders dopus is searching in.

Click on the "folder" icon so the screenshot looks like mine :slight_smile:

Did it work??????

W:\adobe needs to be put down into the "other window" like in my screenshot :slight_smile:

[quote="Ironhand"]Problem seems simple if I am not wrong.

You did not actually ADD the folder to the folders dopus is searching in.[/quote]

It shouldn't matter whether or not the folder is in the list. You only really need to use the list when searching multiple folders.

You are right! Strange. I actually had the same problem like you and was very puzzled. Dopus is not intuitive here.

But I played around and suddently it worked. I thought is was that but it wasn't. I've been living on a lie for year now!

Anyway - I'll try to reproduce the problem again and check. I hope I figure something out :slight_smile: