Best alternative for searching for matches in a item's set using a Filter object

As in v13.4.8, you can now set a Filter object using textual filters with Evaluator included, I was playing around, trying to find an alternative that resembles the functionality of cmd.SetFilter() followed by a command like Select FILTER or Select FILTERDEF with a textual filter, but that instead, returns a set of matched items.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is get access to the results before they actually pop up on the screen, since I intend to include the parent folders of those nested matching items, even when their parents do not match the filter. But here's the thing: when I tried searching for matches using item.MatchFilter(), it took like 3 to 4 times longer compared to just setting a filter and applying it with a command.

I'm thinking that since DOpus probably have the results listed just before displaying them, would it be possible to implement a way that allows accessing these results directly as a vector/set via scripting, without the need of run a command that applies the filter?

(And hey, maybe we could even expand this to work with other search engines like Everything).