BMP Files opening in Photoshop

Hi Guys,

First of all, I am running a portable version of Opus (12.13 x64) on a Windows 10 laptop.

When I look at the properties of a BMP file, it's associated with D8Viewer.exe, which is what I want.

20190408%2010-36-12

However, when I go to Settings > Filetypes > BMP > Actions > Open is set to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Photoshop.exe" "%1".

I don't recall setting this up as I would normally have used {f} rather than "%1".

20190408%2010-37-21

If I delete this code and hit OK I get the Windows UAC prompt which requires admin rights to proceed. From past experience our IT won't touch this and I'll get the usual response of "If it's not File Explorer, we don't support it."

Anyway, is there an alternative way to change this without he help of our IT guys?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Blueroly

The Open action is not always what double-click will use. It has probably been overridden using the Open With dialog in Windows, which should make the open action irrelevant.

Is the issue only with what you see in the File Types dialog, or is Photoshop actually handling the files on double-click? Try using the Open With menu to change the default app if needed.

On the Actions tab, you would not want to use {f} in commands as that's an Opus code and nothing else will understand it. Those commands need to work in Explorer as well. Both Opus and Explorer understand "%1" so that is safe to use there.

Check the Events tab as well, in case you've overridden the double-click action within Opus. (The Events tab doesn't affect Explorer or anything but Opus.)

When I open the "Open With" dialog in Windows, BMP is currently set to D8Viewer.exe. I have changed this to Photoshop and then back to D8Viewer.exe but that doesn't make a difference, BMP files will still open in Photoshop when double clicking in Opus.

Correct, Photoshop is always used. I have changed it to Photoshop using the Open With dialog, then back to D8Viewer.exe but it still opens in Photoshop when I double click it in Opus.

Of course, thanks for clarifying.

All actions are set to as shown below.

Update: I have just added "/homeroot\DOPUS\d8viewer.exe" {f} to the left double-click in the events tab, which I thought I had tried earlier, and all seems to work as expected now.

If it's only inside Opus that you're worried about, you can use:

• Preferences / File Operations / Double-click on Files / Use internal picture viewer for...

That was one of the things I checked but it was already switched on.

I only care about inside Opus as I refuse to work without it :slight_smile: