Bug with Recent Directory (also in File Explorer)

Hi, I have encounter a bug with the Recent Location history, I just cant go into this directory, it makes Opus Directory crash. And Worse, since each time I open Opus Directory it open at the last location, Opus crash at each opening.
I manage to exit from the Recent File location history, so that Opus doesnt crash at start, but I still cant get into Recent directory without crash.
Just for information, I use a French version of Windows 10, and recent spells "Récent" with a "é" so, it could be an explanation.

Please see here for suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem:

Thank you for you answer.
Since the crash happen only when I am in this directory and not in any of the directory the files are linked, I suppose it is only due to the Recent Directory, I have sent a crash Dump file for this. Thanks for the help.

From the dump, it appears to be a Windows bug:

That isn't a thread which Opus itself has started, but a background thread Windows has made to do something related to the Recent folder. It's then calling into some Windows APIs, with none of our code involved in the callstack at all, and getting into an endless loop, creating its object over and over again, until the stack runs out of space.

Are you able to view the same folder in File Explorer, or does that also have a similar problem?

It may also be triggered by having certain columns visible within Opus when displaying the folder, if you get different results in Explorer.

Thank you for your help. It looks like that I have the same exact problem in Windows File Explorer.
Strangely I cannot open this folder in the File Explorer, and now every directory open in a new window in File explorer, even if "open in same window" is selected has an option.
I ll have to find a way to fix all this mess.

Thank you.

We probably can't help much in that case, but if you or anyone finds a solution feel free to keep the thread alive as even if it isn't an Opus issue it might be something another Opus user runs into, so it's still useful.

In terms of Opus-related things, setting Preferences / Launching Opus / Explorer Replacement / Don't replace Explorer might be worth a try in case it's involved somehow, but it's fairly unlikely.

Hi,

I also have this problem out of the blue, i select with the right mouse button (logitech mx master, windows pro 8.1) I already deinstalled dopus, restarted and reinstalled the program and restored the backup settings, but the same error remains, see screenshot

That doesn't sound like the same problem. This thread is about a crash when going to the Recent folder, not when right-clicking.

There is a separate FAQ with suggestion about right-click crashes, which are almost always caused by shell extensions. Please try that guide and start a new thread if you still need help tracking down the cause of the crash.

Ok I think I have solved the problem for Directory Opus at least, because my Windows File explorer keep crashing, and I can't fix it, not a big deal since I want to replace it by Directory Opus or Total commander (still undecided)

I follow this video on youtube, and now I can have access to the Recent Directory in Directory Opus: