Can I Assign a Hotkey to Open a Drop Down Menu of a Menu Button?

I have 5 menus on my toolbar. They are all filled up with useful buttons for my workspace. But two of them are menu buttons. In order to move my mouse around less I wanted to assign ALT+1, ALT+2 and so on, up to ALT+5 to open these menus. The problem is that when I press alt+1 all I want is a drop down of the buttons inside. In the case of menus that is what happens, but menu buttons simply open the location inside the button and don't offer me a drop down menu. Is there a way to assign a hotkey to activate the drop down menu of a menu button?

P.S. I know I can convert a menu button into a simple menu, but IF it's possible to open the drop down menu and maintain the menu button the way It is set it up right now, I would preffer that.

Try an accelerator key instead of a hotkey.

This is how my toolbar looks.

I have the issue with the 4th & 5th menu buttons (from left to right).

I don't show the labels. I am kind of an minimalist freak.

Also, I don't know exactly what you mean by accelerator keys, but if you are talking about the underscored letter shortcuts, then I have them enabled in Windows 10 and they appear in many menus, but they don't appear in Dopus in any menu. I don't know why...

Add the desired key to the label prefixed with an &. The label can be turned off and it'll still work.

1 Like

Thank you very much, It worked.

Can I read more about how this works somewhere? I read various things in the tutorial, but haven't heard about "accelerator" keys until now.

accelerator keys are not unique to dopus, they are a universal windows function that most software with a menu bar can access by pressing the "alt" and the corresponding underlined letter of the menu item.

i have mine turn on to show in every program from the windows settings under...

Ease of Access > Keyboard > Change how Keyboard shortcuts work
im on windows 10, not sure where this setting is in win11

note.... accelerator keys are allow enabled, this just always show them when available in the software.

1 Like

you can set your own keys in the menu items in dopus as @lxp mentions about with by place an & before a letter or number

i made a an awesome quick column menu for my frequently used columns i want to move next the name column in hurry

i key Alt+C to open the menu and the number...

1 Like

Thanks for the information, guess I have some experimentation to do now, in order to implement this new knowledge...