Can I filter images for comment in the metadata section?

I would like to filter my huge image library for images containing one or more specific words in the comment section of the metadata panel. Is that possible?

If that is not possible: Is there another way that would easily allow me to search for those images that contain some specific descriptive words?

Or do I have to use a description for such images?

Not sure, if the same works for comments, but at least for tags you can use something like

FIND IN "D:\Images" QUERY {dlgstring|find in D}

where D:\Images ist just an example path. You can replace it with your own. Note, that you would need a Windows index for that location, including metadata.

Tools > Find Files > Advanced should be able to do it.

PS: Please link your account.

'Comment' is a Windows property that is not supported by other photo-specific applications.
The Description field is the best place to add descriptive text about a photo and can accommodate up to 2000 characters. Some applications call this filed 'Caption'.

@abr: where do I have to enter such a command?

@MegMac: Thanks for the info.

@Leo: I linked my account now. Search works, but takes minutes. That is not handy. I would be more happy about a "realtime filter" that only shows the photos (or files) that contain a specific word or a part in the description.

In Preferences -> Customize -> Keys, select "New keyboard combination" from the upper left corner. The code is then placed in the "function" field. You can assign a new keyboard combination to use this function. Basically, this is how you create a new hotkey. Please note, that the menu names can differ a bit, since i am looking at a german version of the menu.

Alternatively you can right click on an empty space of the upper file display area, and select "customize", to create a new button in one of your toolbars.

I just noticed something stange: When I use quick search (which should use Windows index search if I understood this correctly) and type the name of my son, I get correct results, but some of them do neither have his name anywhere in the metadata fields nor in the filename itself. How is this possible? Are there image metadata fields that Directory Opus does not show?

Anyhow: Typing the keywords I want to use in the comment field in metadata and then using quick search works almost instantly due to the Windows index. So this solution is most usable to me as I always have the metadata panel open thus have the comments always visible.

Can I configure the quick search in such a way that not a new tab is opened, but that instead the actual tab is updated?

What a Windows Search query does is up to Windows Search. We just pass it the query you specify, then show the results it returns. Nothing about Windows Search is very well documented, and it's also subject to change and Microsoft's whims.

How are you triggering the search? The search field at the top right of the default toolbars doesn't open a new tab by default, at least. If you're using the Find command to trigger the search instead, it has arguments to control where the results are displayed.

Try the script to search via Voidtools Everything? I haven't searched with metadata so I'm not sure.

Directory Opus does not show face region metadata added by application that have a Facial Recognition feature. BUT Windows may be finding a name in facial recognition metadata. Have you used facial recognition to identify people including your son?

Yes. PrintMeta will provide a good overview.

@MegMac: Thank you very much for participating! I am quite sure this is the correct answer. Yes, I have been using ACDSee PhotoStudio Ultimate for facial recognition.

So at the moment this "effect" is very helpful for me, on the other hand reminds me to be careful about sending away photos before cleaning the metadata.

@lxp: You kindly referred to PrintMeta which I want to try to set up for DirOpus, but in the respective instructions it says:

Update the paths:
var exeExifTool = fsu.Resolve('/bin\exiftool\exiftool.exe');
var exeMediaInfo = fsu.Resolve('/bin\MediaInfo.CLI\MediaInfo.exe');

How do I do that? Where do I have to enter these lines?

The path of exiftool.exe is: C:\Program Files
The path of MediaInfo.exe is C:\Program Files\MediaInfo_CLI_22.12_Windows_x64\MediaInfo.exe

Thank you very much for your patience and assistance!

In general I checked ACDSee Metadata in more detail, there is both EXIF metadata panel as well as IPTC metadata panel. No matter what I enter in either panel in many different fields that even faintly remind of something like comment, author, description, title or whatever it is not reflected in DirectoryOpus metadata. Seems that there is a "grey zone" between both programs, a number of metadata fields that none uses??? Kind of strange, though... Hopefully I can shed some light on it with PrintMeta.

You need to edit lines 36 and 39 in the script file you downloaded.