Can I get the Image sort toolbar on non-image file displays?

When my filelist displays images it gives me access to a different toolbar that allows me to sort by various columns that you can't see without scrolling horizontally on a details view. I'd like to be able to access that image sort toolbar from all my location toolbars regardless of content type.

I might be able to add it to my location bar but I'm not sure which toolbar it is or if it would even work if I could add it. It would be nice to be able to see a toolbar's name in the active display by like a properties option or hovering because when you start duplicating toolbars and customizing the names it's hard to recall which is which.

I'd like to use the toolbar highlighted in yellow.

Add it to this toolbar.

I may be missing something, but I don't think that's a toolbar. Is that not the column headers of the file display?

Yep, it is. It's there in all modes if Preferences / File Displays / Options / Show sort header in icon modes is turned on.

The same headings are there in Details mode, but they'll be as wide as each column is.

You can create toolbar buttons which sort by different things, which sounds like what you want. The default Images toolbar has a few examples:

The button editor can help you find the column you want to sort by:

My quick response is damn how did I not realize that's what it was? Dolp! I remember reading something about it in the upgrade docs but it apparently left me with a different idea of what it is.

I don't think creating buttons solves it well athough it maybe all that's available. Read on...

I'd need another toolbar to put them on and I'd have to statically define what the columns I'm expecting to sort on rather than having a dynamic relationship between the folder layout and the columns displayed.

As a devil's advocate now that I've been told these are column headers displayed only in icon mode having them squooze together above a single column in details mode would be a problem too.

If the end result is going to demand another toolbar then I'd prefer to pull in the "icon column names toolbar" into my location bar rather than creating my own toolbar and static buttons to retain the dynamic relationship with the folder layout.

Maybe a glyph on the column header that would allow you to go between compressed and normal?