Can't Disable Manual Sorting for the Download Folder

I set my default folder to manual sort because I want most of my folders to be manually sortable. However, I want to disable manual sorting for my Downloads folder.

But, no matter what I do, the changes don't save. Every time that I open a new tab with the Downloads folder, the manual sort is re-enabled.

Nothing I've read seems to address this specific problem. I have tried the following:

1. Folder Formats under Preferences

When I edit the Downloads folder, the manual sort box is already unchecked.

1. Folder Options

I have tried to save the format. I check the box to replace the folder's format in any layouts.

1. Lister Layout

For the lister, I have also saved the layout so that the Downloads folder is not saved with manual sort.

After you open a tab for it, hover over (don’t click on) the format lock icon on the status bar. What does it say?

The format lock icon is unlocked.

Every time I open the Downloads folder with a new tab and I hover over the unlocked padlock, the box states:
brave_t3mn0

Once, I go to folder options and change the manual sort, the box states:
brave_xjZHS

So, I'm guessing there is a command that sets all my folders to manual sort.

Wait…I just figured it out. I just stumbled upon a script under Preferences.

2 years ago, I had trouble enabling manual sorting for my default folder. You had me download a script to enable manual sorting of all folders. I obviously had forgotten about this since this was 2 years ago. That's what's causing this.

I'll disable the script. Unfortunately, it's going to disable manual sorting for my default folders now… :face_exhaling:

You could edit the script to exclude the folder you don't want it to act on. It already excludes a couple:

if (pathStr.substr(0,2) == "::" || pathStr == "LIB://")
	{
	//	DOpus.Output("Rejected " + pathStr);
		return;
	}

For example:

if (pathStr.substr(0,2) == "::" || pathStr == "LIB://" || pathStr == "C:\\My\\Path\\To\\Exclude")
	{
		return;
	}

Any backslashes in the path need to be doubled, as above, due to how JScript/JavaScript strings work.

1 Like

Thanks, you're a lifesaver. This has been bugging me for many months now. Never that big of a deal but just a constant irritation every time I open the Downloads folder.

:+1:

1 Like

For some reason, the script doesn't exclude the Downloads folder from being manually sorted anymore.

It initially worked; my Downloads folder wasn't being manually sorted. But, stangely, the script now applies Manual Sort to all folders. It's won't exclude the Download folder. The following is the altered script.

What can be preventing the exclusion in the script from working?

function OnInit(initData)
{
	initData.name = "Always Manual Sort";
	initData.version = "1.0";
	initData.copyright = "(c) 2020 Leo Davidson";
	initData.url = "https://resource.dopus.com/t/how-to-give-all-my-folders-manual-sort-ability/36067/2";
	initData.desc = "Turn on manual sort in every folder";
	initData.default_enable = true;
	initData.min_version = "12.0";
}

function OnAfterFolderChange(afterFolderChangeData)
{
	var pathStr = (afterFolderChangeData.tab.path + "").toUpperCase();

if (pathStr.substr(0,2) == "::" || pathStr == "LIB://" || pathStr == "C:\\Users\\George\\Downloads")
	{
		return;
	}

// DOpus.Output("Accepted " + pathStr);

var cmd = DOpus.Create.Command();
	cmd.SetSourceTab(afterFolderChangeData.tab);
	cmd.RunCommand("Set MANUALSORT=on");
}
.toUpperCase()

What do I need to do to make it work?

Use

pathStr == "C:\\USERS\\GEORGE\\DOWNLOADS"
1 Like

Thank you. I think it worked.

That's weird because I thought it worked earlier without the capitalization but I guess I was wrong.