Cant open folders or drives in new tab from home/quick access

Hi

trying out Directory Opus before I buy and its great except one thing.

I have my new tab page set to home and before with default win 11 explorer I would right click on drives or pinned locations in quick access/home to open multiple tabs quickly with context menu but with DO the open in new tab option is missing if i'm in quick access/home and it seems only here that option is missing.

Is this a bug or am I just missing something?

Thanks!

It's File Explorer's context menu.

Try Opus' Favorites instead, it's much more powerful than Windows' Quick Access/Home feature.

"It's File Explorer's context menu."

So your telling me this advanced program with so much functionality and customization is missing a basic thing that default explorer has? The obvious question is why is this missing/not ported over and can I add it somehow? I want the context menu option to open folders in a new tab everywhere. If not can this be considered for a future release? I fail to understand how such a developed program at this point is missing this as its way too useful. Even better tho if I could middle mouse click any folder or drive from quick access or anywhere (not just the left column) for that matter to open in a new tab as that would be even faster.

I did check out the favorites and I fail to see how favorites are superior to quick access maybe you can show me how its better. What I would want is to have the open new tab be set to open favorites but I don't see the option. I see open home which is what I was using but I am missing my open in new tab option. I'm under the impression that if I was able to set my new tab page to be favorites that I would be able to open things in new tabs and that this is a limitation of using quick access. I don't want to use the favorites bar either as that just wastes screen space.

This program is very good but if I am going to buy 2 licenses it needs to work 110% the way I want/need it to.

Hope to here back with some good news.

Thanks!

The Quick Access (renamed "Home" in later versions of Windows 11) is a special virtual folder which is part of the Windows Shell, not really part of Opus. Opus can display it, but it does so by hosting the shell, which handles how things are displayed and what happens when they're right-clicked.

At some point in the future, we might add a "native" view of that folder, like we do for some other virtual folders like This PC and Desktop. If we do that then we can have custom context menus there, as we'd be handling everything ourselves. But it's a fairly low priority (since it's a non-trivial amount of work and testing, and there isn't much you can do in the folder other than double-click something to go somewhere else.)

If you want to open new tabs from that folder, you can still drag the items to the tab bar to do that.

Opus has many other ways to show a list of commonly used folders in various ways/places, which don't have this issue. The only reason to use Quick Access is that it also shows up in other parts of Windows, so if you don't care about that, I would use one of the other methods, as Lxp suggested.

1 Like

"Opus has many other ways to show a list of commonly used folders in various ways/places"

And those ways are?...Lxp only mentioned favorites that's not very descriptive...

I was trying to get the new tab page to be your favorites folder since you have control over that so I could easily open things in new tabs from their with contest menu (or middle mouse click) is that not possible either? If I can make the home button go to my favorites in a folder and new tab also set to the same favorites folder that would work around this completely and I would be happy.

Thanks!

If you haven't already done so, you may want to consider these options:

https://docs.dopus.com/doku.php?id=basic_concepts:the_lister:navigation:favorites
https://docs.dopus.com/doku.php?id=basic_concepts:the_lister:tabs:tab_groups

I thought of a 3rd way: If I can have a custom folder in the folder tree I could have this folder contain all the shortcuts that I would put in quick access and could also set home to be this folder.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

You mean like this?

You could place your shortcuts in Favorites and organize the Folder Tree using Preferences:

Ive already tried that, the issue I had doing so which I was asking about is how to I set my new tab page/home to be the favorites? I don't want to clutter up my tool bar for no reason when I can open up a new tab and have everything their like in normal explorer. This would work then but as far as I can see I cant set home to be favorites. If I could this would also solve this.

Thanks!

Blockquote I thought of a 3rd way: If I can have a custom folder in the folder tree I could have this folder contain all the shortcuts that I would put in quick access and could also set home to be this folder.
Is this possible?

Yes. Create your "favorites" folder, add that folder to the Favorites List: Favorites List [Directory Opus Manual]

To simplify things I found a different solution to use with quick access (selecting multiple drives with CTRL to open in new tabs) I tried the favorites folder idea but I don't get the right click open in new tab option which is what my OP was all about so their no point with that.

I have a request since I now know that Quick Access is difficult for you all to work with and changes would be difficult can the functionality of Quick Assess be brought over to favorites since that's under your control? Sounds much easier then modifying Quick Assess.

For example have favorites act as an actual directory so if you go to it by clicking on it directly in the file tree it displays all your pinned favorites just like in normal explorer when you click home directory you get to the quick assess page. I'm not good at describing things but literally copy everything about quick assess and port it to favorites. (with plenty of customization to make everyone happy of course)

Also make this favorites page a selectable directory for home and make everything in such directory able to quickly be opened in a new tab either with context menu or middle mouse click. I'm still not sure how the most powerful file explorer in existence doesn't have this globally (missing in your favorites folder I made to replicate quick assess with shortcuts since I thought that would work. I know now why its missing in actual Quick Assess)

Is their a way to make this a formal request to be investigated one day?

Directory Opus is one hell of a explorer but its not the complete home run I thought it was. Ill have to think about this now.

Anyways thanks!

For what it's worth, Opus has been around a lot longer than "Quick Access" has, and based on Microsoft's past history there's every chance they'll drop QA in Windows 12 like they (effectively) dropped libraries, which were once the new whoopy thing everyone expected Opus to support.

Opus is Opus, it has some similarities to Explorer but it isn't 100% identical - if you're looking for that you're probably better off sticking with Explorer.

Nahhhhhh

windows 11 file explorer is a slow buggy POS that crashes if you do next to anything. Titanic downgrade compared to windows 10 explorer in speed and reliability which is why I'm here. I guess people here just don't like opening things in new tabs or something, Its so fast and convenient I really don't get it.

Windows just keeps getting worse after 10. Those windows 12 leaks look like some cheap mac knockoff. I don't buy windows for mac. Quick Access was one of the decent things they thought of. If they replace it high chances it will be worse. Also I still use libraries they are useful. What would I replace libraries with if they were removed?

it gets better all the time....

Are you sure about that?
A little example of what you can do with Directory Opus (yes, is 'Quick Access', but as a collection)

I don't even know what im looking at their lmao.

Dual display mode is actually the real hero here which is something I haven't really used before. I can just do that from quick assess and open whatever combination of drives or files I need at that time quickly.

Still funny how right click to open in a new tab isn't global tho.... it would be useful.

But with dual display mode ill pick this up now and follow its development after my 2 month evaluation is over.

Closed unless your a developer I kind of want developer input on my idea that I marked as the solution.

Anyways thanks again.

How did get Quick Access in a Collection? TIA

You can enumerate it as a regular folder via scripting