Can't rename files or folders locked by Autodesk tool

Hi

I am having a lot of trouble renaming files & Folders. I use Directory Opus exclusively for all my file and folder access. I use mostly a program called Advance Steel by Autodesk. I think this software tends to hang on to the files & folders after I have finished with them. I have to close Advance Steel and then rename. Is there a way that I can force Windows to rename. The reason is because I often have many drawings open at the same time along with other associated files and closing Advance Steel becomes a rather time consuming task as well as a pain in the bum. The problem also occurs when trying to delete or move

You'd have to take it up with Autodesk, I'm afraid. If their software is locking the files in a way which blocks them being renamed then there's no way to do the rename; it's blocked at the operating system level until their process releases the lock or exits.

(There are "unlocker" tools which make other processes release their locks while still running, but they're a bad idea in general, and can lead to crashes or even file corruption if the other process goes on to use the handle that was closed. More detail on that here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/technet-magazine/dd547078 )

For folders that are locked, it's sometimes due to software changing its "current directory" to that folder. Some software will do that each time you open a new file, which means opening a file in another folder can move the lock to a different place. It's not always true, but can be worth a try if you want to delete a folder and don't want to exit the other program that is locking it.