Can't set default lister to open when openning dopus

HI All
I'm new to Dopus. I have setup a lister, dual pane just how i want it, I have saved it and named it. I have also saved it as a default lister. Yet when I open Dopus from taskbar it opens with a different layout. I can go to lister laayouts and click on my named lister and then it goes to that layout, but I can't make it open in my saved layout automatically. WHat am I missing here?

What are the various things under Preferences / Launching Opus configured to open?

All of those settings are set to open default lister. I have even tried to set them to open a saved layout and pointed it to my saved and named layout, and still it opens up to some other layout.

I don't open Opus from the taskbar. I don't know if that's relevant or not.

What happens if you open Opus some other way?

HI Thanks for the reply.
It does not matter how I open it, wheather from the start menu or anything else, the same thing happens. This is what kind of pips me off about this software, i'm on a trial period, I really want to love this, as it really is a nice piece of software, but there is so little to explain how to use it, and when I can't get something to work , there is no support to contact. It's very frustrating.

Posting here contacted Leo.

You are right, I did not realize who Leo is. Still no resolution to my dilemma. Sorry for rambling on, just a little frustrated.

Other than the 1000+ page manual, I guess? :slight_smile:

Yes, you are right, thank you, I will wade through a thousand pages to resolve my issue, I’m sure there will be a hint in there somewhere. thank you for your help.
Cheers

Did you use Settings > Set as Default Lister to save the default lister, or something else?

Which elements of the window that opens are wrong? Can you show us a screenshot of what opens, and another of what you want to open?

Thank you Leo for answering my inquiry.
I think perhaps I am not understanding Dopus's nomenclature at all, at this point.
What I am trying to do is to have the app open with 2 lists of files ( I think that each of them is called a lister, I thought the whole app window was called a lister) and a tree on the left side of the 2 list (listers). In each lister I would like there to be only 4 columns, file_name, size, date accessed and date modified. I would like the file name column to be 300 pixels in width. I would like those same 4 columns and the width of name column to remain like that no matter which folder i open or where I click to go on the file tree. I would also like the tree to only show the Favorites group and nothing else.
I thought I could do that by setting it up like that in the root folder and then saving it all as a named lister and a default lister. Obviously I was wrong.
Please bear witrh me, this app is new to me, and as I am a 67 year old retiree, I may not pick things up as quickly as some of the people who like to pour sarcasm on my comments do. I am not a ludite, and have extensive experience programming my arduino and Raspberry Pi robots, so I don't think using this app is beyond me, If you can, please help or point me to some resources that will I would greatly appreciate it. Failing that I gueass there is always the 1000 page help file :joy:.

We've made this easier in Opus 13, but in Opus 12 you need to save two things:

1. The default lister. This decides which panels are turned on, such as the folder tree and dual or single file displays. It also decides which folders are open by default (although that can be overridden, depending on how the window is opened). That's saved via Settings > Set as Default Lister.

2. The default folder format. This decides the view mode, columns, column widths, sort order, and so on. See Folder Formats: Quick Guide for how to save that.

In Opus 13, it's a bit easier as you can do both those things via Settings > Set Lister Defaults (which is the new name for "Set as Default Lister", since it does more now.)

Nomenclature: You're correct, "lister" means the whole window. The individual folders within the window are "file displays" or "folder tabs" (basically interchangeable terms 99% of the time).

Thank you Leo for your reply.
I have downloaded Opus 13, and you are right , it is so much easier and more comprehensible. So far love it, esp the dark mode.
Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Leo, I think I fell in love too soon. As long as I don't close Opus 13, everything is working as I would like, the minute I close it, and re-open, I get a different layout. Is there a way I could send you a quick video of what I am doing and what I am getting? I would like to send it to you outside of the forum, as it may show some details of my folders that I would not want to display online.
Thank you
Cheers

No ?

Yes I have used Settings > Set as Default Lister , I have also used Folder format to save the format for all folders(make this the default), clicked all the options in the Opus 13 save as default lister and still when I close Opus and re-open it, I get the Libraries showing up again in the Tree and i get 2 additional columns , Status and Availability show up.

This is getting confusing. Let's establish whether you are using Opus 12 or the Opus 13 beta.

Leo said you should use Settings > Set as Default Lister in Opus 12 and Settings > Set Lister Defaults in Opus 13.

You agreed that things are easier and more comprehensible in Opus 13. Then you have said

Yes I have used Settings > Set as Default Lister , I have also used Folder format to save the format for all folders(make this the default), clicked all the options in the Opus 13 save as default lister and still when I close Opus and re-open it, I get the Libraries showing up again in the Tree and i get 2 additional columns , Status and Availability show up.

That contains references to both Opus 12 procedures and Opus 13 options.

Lets settle on either Opus 12 or Opus 13 and try to solve the problem in whichever one you choose,

The Status and Availability columns may be added automatically if you're in a cloud folder. Try going to a normal folder (e.g. C:\) to check if that gets the same columns.

Hi, once again thank you for engaging with me on this matter.
1/ I am using Opus 13 exclusively, the reference to" Settings > Set as Default Lister was just taken from your response, I have in fact used Settings>Set Lister Defaults of Opus 13.
2/ You are correct, the Status and Availability columns are only added in OneDrive connected folders so that part seems to be solved. When I restart the app, I do go to the Documents folder, and so the extra columns are added by the OS , I guess. Not a problem.
3/ the only other thing is the seemingly random appearance of Libraries in the Tree, I guess that may also be some automatic thing with the OS or your app.

At any rate, the app now does what I need it to do, I obviously need to learn a lot more about it, but I am very grateful for your support, and will definitely purchase it at the end of the trial period, hopefully at some Black Friday discount.
Cheers.