Can't start Directory Opus after 11.14 in server 2012 R2

Please try Leo's suggestions. There won't be a "new patch" unless we actually find something wrong.

[quote="leo"]There might be something in the system Event Viewer, depending on the cause.

[list=1][*]Set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus, StartupProgress (DWORD) = 1.

[/quote]

I install DO in user account but give it admin access. I can't find "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus" in user account and admin account. I event search "GPSoftware" in registry. Nothing useful information. Is there something wrong?

You need to create it if it isn't there already.

The .reg file I linked will do it for you. That's the easiest way to turn the diagnostic on and off.

Same bug, just tested, nothing appears in DbgView even if all captures are enabled. Effect is DOpus does not start.

I suggest you debug this yourself because we, users, can't help furthermore.

Kind regards

Task manager does not show dopus.exe even if launching from C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\DOpus.exe
If I launch if from C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\x86\dopus.exe I get a malformed dopus window, font size mismatch etc.

Which anti-virus are you all using? That was asked above but everyone has avoided the question so far.

If dopus.exe is not even starting, the problem is likely to be something on your systems is killing the process before it can even begin. Since 11.14 was built using the same tools as 11.13, and has no new dependencies, that means the most likely cause is something like an anti-virus scanner rejecting a new exe file that it has not seen before.

Please also see if any relevant log entries are in Event Viewer / Windows Logs (please check all sections, around the time Opus was last launched).

We cannot debug this as it does not happen on any of our systems, and so far only on three reported systems (two running Server 2012 R2, and one unspecified).

Hi All,

Just update to 11.14 on my 2012 R2 server and I'm also having the same issue - Dopus doesn't start!

As with the others, enabling debug yielded no results.

I ran procmon too, and it appears to attempt to load the dopus executable.

The only AV currently installed on the server is Forefront Endpoint Protection. Dopus still doesn't load with the Real-time protection feature disabled.

My procmon logs can be grabbed from [Procmon log link removed after we downloaded it, just in case it had anything private in the logs. Many thanks! --Leo].

Many thanks for the ProcMon log. That was exactly what we needed to find the problem. It showed that Opus was launching, but then failed early on, and let us find exactly where the problem is.

A fix has been written and is in the pipeline for release.

In the meantime, for anyone on Server 2012 R3 who needs to go back to 11.13, here is the Opus 11.13 installer (45MB).

[quote="leo"]Many thanks for the ProcMon log. That was exactly what we needed to find the problem. It showed that Opus was launching, but then failed early on, and let us find exactly where the problem is.

... ...
[/quote]

If you have patch, it will be released in next beta version or major version?

It will be in all forthcoming releases, whatever type they are.

This update is available now. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks to spoonwzd for the help with identifying this problem.

Thanks for your speedy response to this chaps. I'm sorry to report that the 11.15 update still doesn't work for me.

Same behaviour as before. New procmon logss here: https://gate.spoonwizard.com/procmonlog2.zip

The log shows Opus 11.14 is still installed (files dated 2nd July):

Please try clearing your browser cache and re-downloading the installer from here: gpsoft.com.au/DScripts/download.asp

Check that the installer says 11.15 as the version number in the titlebar.

You're right - releeched and reinstalled. All now good - thanks all!

So it was a bug in the Directory Opus codes after all.

So much for the sensor removing my other posts and the freedom that is supposed to exist in a Forum, where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged, on which people of all backgrounds with all sorts of interests may post their opinions and or comments.

Obviously if a Moderator does not agree with ones opinions and or comments, then your posts are removed, so much for the freedom of what a Forum is supposed to be.

We never said it wasn't possible for it to be Opus, but that we needed things to be diagnosed and eliminated in order to understand or fix the problem.

(I did make a comment prefixed with "If dopus.exe is not even starting..." based on the statement that Opus was not starting at all, but from the logs we then saw that Opus was in fact starting, and the info given to us that it wasn't starting was a mistake (an understandable one; no complaints there). Not being able to see the problem on our own machines, we can only suggest things given the information we have, and we do our best with that. The ProcMon logs gave us enough info to quickly find the problem and were much appreciated. A fix was available hours later.)

If you post any more inflammatory & derailing responses to being asked to help diagnose problems, you will be banned from the support forum. Pages of rants do not help anyone solve anything, they just get in the way of people who want to help solve problems, and make people angry. Last warning.

So unless we're running Server 2012 R2, there's no need to move from 11.14?

Correct, there's literally no other changes.

Just update to 11.15 everything work very well, thanks Leo~