Change multiple lister styles?

Whenever I want to change one element of a lister style format, e.g. to change from displaying 'size on disk (bytes)' to 'size (bytes)', it involves a minimum of 4 mouse clicks:

• highlight element to be removed;
  • click to remove it;
  • highlight element to be added;
  • click to add it;
    then 3 or 4 more clicks on the up arrow to position the new element where I want it. That's only counting mouse clicks after I've clicked through to the Edit Format dialog. And in a dual display layout, it all has to be done twice.

I've just changed my 5 standard lister styles (dual vertical/horizontal, etc.). Now I have to change 10 dual display lister layouts, which display the same folder on desktop and laptop.

Then I've got to it all again on my laptop. That's a lot of clicks, and I've got mild carpal tunnel syndrome.

I want to make the same change in all my layouts. Is there a way to do it without many clicks? I'm not a D Opus scripting adept, but I could edit a text file if I knew which file/s to edit, and what to replace with what.

I've done my best to search for this info on site, but haven't found anything.

Thanks

Mary

Uncheck the Format checkbox for your styles and they will no longer affect the folder format -- which is where the columns come from -- and you'll no longer have to edit your styles. Instead you'll just need to edit the global folder formats which all styles will end up using.

(Caveat: At the moment if a style creates folder tabs then it always associates a format with each tab. However, you can edit the tabs, then edit their formats and turn off each page of the formats so that it doesn't change anything.)

Hi Leo

I unchecked the Format checkbox, edited my global folder formats, and saved my default folder. Unfortunately, it didn't affect my 10 Saved Lister Layouts, even though I unchecked 'Ignore folder formats saved within this layout' on all of them. Is there a way of making them acquire the new global formats?

Mary

Are we talking about layouts or styles? (Or both?)

Do you get the right format when you open the "default lister" ? (Normally that is what opens if you right-click the Desktop and select New Lister.)

Both, I guess. I've got 3 toolbars for displaying listers/going to folders:
1- a tabbed Styles toolbar
2 - a toolbar with icons for going to various folders
3 - a toolbar with icons which, when clicked, show a local folder on the left side of a dual display, and the corresponding folder on my laptop on the right side.

All tabs/icons on the first 2 bars now display my new default setup - to be specific, 'size (bytes)' not 'size on disk (bytes)'.

But the 3rd bar, containing lister layouts (they show up in Prefs, Listers, Layouts), still has the old form: 'size on disk (bytes)'.

Indeed, if I click on one of them, then click on a lister in the first 2 toolbars, they revert to showing 'size on disk (bytes)', and I have to close D Opus to get my preferred setup back.

The Command Editor for individual items on bar 2 says, under Function: Go "C:[folder]".
For bar 3 it says 'Prefs LAYOUTLIST' for all.

I don't know if this makes it any clearer.

Mary

Leo

I think I've just blundered into it. If I open a saved lister layout, with a local folder on one side and a remote on the other (no. 3 in my last message), then, in each side, do Folder Options and click Reset Page - Reset to Custom, I get my preferred layout with only a few mouse clicks.

Thanks for your help - I wouldn't have got there without your advice on unchecking the Styles Format checkbox and editing the global folder formats.

Mary

Just as an aside - you can add and remove columns in the Folder Format dialog using drag and drop from one side to the other. So only one click needed per column rather than four :slight_smile:

Oh wow - cool!

Thanks

Mary