Changing "fileType" doesn't work for CSV files

I have Opus 12.19 /64
I'm trying to change the file type for .csv files
to: CSV file

When I use Settings/File Types then change the name for the CSV file it doesn't change the file type in the lister.

Is Microsoft being a pain or am I doing something wrong?

If it cannot be changed is there a way to limit the width of the filetypes column?

Thanks
John

The name should be in the registry. If you use File > Diagnostic from the main Settings > File Types dialog, it can export all the registry details and we can probably tell you what to edit based on that.

You can set column width limits via the folder format. Or use the Extension column instead of the Type column.

Opus_FTD_File_csv.zip (50.5 KB)

Not sure if I did this correctly:

Settings/File types/File/Diagnostics - Files with extension CSV

I'm not really sure its DOpus I also tried the nirsoft utility, and I searched therought the registry and changed several places where I found "Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Values File" to "CSV" shutdown power, restarted and the long name was retained.

I will change from type to extension column, that sounds the best for me.

Thanks
John

The name comes from here currently:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.CSV, under which is FriendlyTypeName (REG_SZ).

That currently has this value, which starts with an @ that means things should look up the string in a DLL (to support multiple languages): @C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX86\Microsoft Shared\Office16\oregres.dll,-107

If you change that to the name you want, I think it will work. Reboot afterwards, in case the name is cached by something.

1 Like