Check box mode is gone?

I use lister always in Viewer pane mode, however sometimes need to select files without affecting Viewer pane because in some situation I don't want to see a file content. Now it possible only by dragging mouse from empty space or another column to desired file name and holding Ctrl key. View, like in Windows Explorer Check box mode, would be best solution. Why Check box mode is gone or it now hidden very deep in option?
P.S. I don't like site dark mode and see no option to turn it off :frowning:

The option for checkbox mode is still in the Folder dropdown menu, where it's always been.

In Opus 13 it has moved from a Preferences setting to being part of the folder format, but the command in the Folder menu is still there to toggle it.

The option is on your preferences page.

oh, I'm klutz, now the question remains how to apply this to all folders?

Ah finally!!!

See Folder Formats: Quick Guide

If you're using Opus 13, you can also do it via Settings > Set Lister Defaults. (Name may be slightly different if you're using toolbars imported from Opus 12.)

I use v.12.33 and see no Lister Defaults option. Saving current folder format ignore check box mode. :frowning:

In Opus 12, checkbox mode was only intended as a temporary thing you turned on for special situations. It could be turned on automatically via a script, but there's no built-in setting for that.

I think Jon and I both assumed you were using the Opus 13 public beta, as "check box mode is gone?" implies a recent change. (Mentioning dark mode also made me assume this was about Opus 13, as I didn't initially realise you were talking about the forum's dark mode in a post about checkbox mode in Opus.)

Something to note about checkbox mode in Opus: It's a very different thing to the one in File Explorer (and was introduced before Explorer had checkboxes at all).

File Explorer's checkbox mode just gives you a way to select/deselect individual files without holding Ctrl, but you can already do that in Opus using the middle mouse button (i.e. clicking the scroll wheel, assuming the mouse drivers assign it to the standard middle button). Checking a file in Explorer is the same as selecting it.

Checkbox mode in Opus is for something else: It lets you go through a folder building up a list of files you want to do something to, while still being able to select a file to display in the preview pane. It gives you two independent selections (the checkboxes, and the actual/normal selection) which don't interfere with each other.

1 Like

Opus check box mode is good for me, I love it, but I see no way to apply it to all folders. Also I assigned the middle mouse button to the Enter command and want to leave it. So if you give me a script enabling checkbox mode for all folders and explain how to run it, I will be glad.

So, is there any way to select a file without displaying it in the preview pane and without using CTRL key or middle mouse click? At this time I have to use 3 steps for this:

1. Turn on check box mode, because it can't be set by default for all folders.
  2. Check desired files
  3. Enter Checkboxes to Selection mode

What if you'll make Check Box Mode and Enter Checkboxes to Selection menu items permanent globally by checking them or add this setting in Folder option?

In Opus 13, you can turn on checkbox mode for all folders, as the setting is now part of the folder format.

Is a new certificate required for the final version?

You will, but the final version isn't out yet. It should be coming out next week.

See Announcing Directory Opus 13 - Public Beta now open! for how to try the public beta now.