Checkboxes

Newbie: I read the help about checkboxes but can't find that setting.

If you just want a way to toggle the selection of items without deselecting others, and without having to hold Ctrl, you can use the middle mouse button for that in Opus.

(Power Mode also lets you make the left button do the same thing, but that won't affect other modes like Thumbnails.)

There is also a checkbox mode, but it's slightly different to (and predates) the one you might be familiar with from Explorer. It's more about being able to separate the list of files which commands will act on from the file which is open in the viewer pane:

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Checkbox_Mode.htm

Leo,

Actually i did read the faq and help on this before posting. For the likes of me, I could not and still can't find the "checkbox mode". What's the exact sequence of menu selections to get to that? Youtube? Screenshot?

I use trackballs that don't exactly have a middle button. I tried pressing various buttons while hovering but no checkbox choice came up :slight_smile:

All I'm trying to achieve is an additional safeguard against my deleting or moving the wrong files or folders at 2am in the morning. I do have the prompt for deleting enabled.

Len Raphael
Oakland CA next to Berkeley

1 Like

Thank you. That worked.

And one can't make checkboxes a persistent, global choice? Which is ok. I'm just happy i'm not getting "retry" errors every time i try to do something to a file on a local network drive which was happening with another file explorer util .

I'll see if i find the equivalent of the 3rd button on my Logitech trackballs.

Thanks.

Len R
Oakland CA

If you're referring to the fact that changing folders causes you to lose Checkbox mode, there's a setting that changes that behavior:

Preferences / Folders / Folder Behaviour / Cancel Checkbox mode when folder is changed

1 Like

I see that setting and it was unchecked. i was trying to show checkboxes even after I totally exited DO and restarted it.

It's often called "generic button" or "middle button", but it may depend on the drivers.

Download this and drag it to the list in Preferences / Toolbars / Scripts:

Checkbox Mode Always.js.txt (533 Bytes)

Script code for reference (same as in the download):

function OnInit(initData)
{
	initData.name = "Checkbox Mode Always";
	initData.version = "1.0";
	initData.copyright = "(c) 2020 Leo Davidson";
	initData.url = "https://resource.dopus.com/t/checkboxes/34202";
	initData.desc = "Turn on Checkbox Mode in all folders";
	initData.default_enable = true;
	initData.min_version = "12.0";
}

function OnAfterFolderChange(afterFolderChangeData)
{
	var cmd = DOpus.Create.Command();
	cmd.SetSourceTab(afterFolderChangeData.tab);

cmd.RunCommand("Set CHECKBOXMODE=On");
}
1 Like

Thank you. That did the trick.

len

Are checkboxes only expected to operate on multiple checked files when using the Opus move and copy commands? not meant to impact dragging and dropping?

Yes, that's the point of it. Described here.

(URL corrected in previous post.)

Clear explanation/documentation. Thank you.