Clarrification on the $newfile variable

In 9.1.0.4 there is the new $newfile variable. Here's what I have so far.

FileType NEW=.txt NEWNAME="Notes {DATE|yyyy.MM.dd}.txt"
editpad "{C:\Program Files\JGsoft\EditPadPro6\EditPadPro.exe}{$newfile}"

I had previously changed 'editpad' to 'notepad' but it didn't work with the filepath to Editpad... is the text 'notepad' interpreted specifically? What do I have to do to pull up my own text editor?

Secondly, I like to predefine a file name but I'm wondering if I need to specifiy it as well in place of $newfile.

Thanks.

Firstly, I'm not sure what you expect the following string from your post to do:

"{C:\Program Files\JGsoft\EditPadPro6\EditPadPro.exe}{$newfile}"

How does such a thing make sense to either editpad or notepad? Perhaps you just mis-typed what you actually tried in your button? It should make more sense (and actually work :wink:) like:

FileType NEW=.txt NEWNAME="Notes {DATE|yyyy.MM.dd}.txt" "C:\Program Files\JGsoft\EditPadPro6\EditPadPro.exe" "{sourcepath}{$newfile}"
Secondly, if you're going to make a button to create a static 'pre-defined' filename, then yeah you would generally just send that pre-defined name to your editor. Although... the upshot would be that if your otherwise static 'pre-defined' named file already existed, and Opus then actually creates a (2).txt file using the $newfile variable approach would then open the correct 'new' file instead of the older existing file...